I asked about the 14 mo being whiney and only got one answer so I'll include diff info. I want to know if it will get better when he gets more verbal and how to deal with tantrums..??

He is walking; he is trying to climb to get stuff out of his reach ie: mildy dangerous stuff and electronics he can't have. Maybe I should put everything he can't have out of his sight but really that is impossible, and I also have to cook and cut things and he always wants whatever is in my hands.

This is just stressing me out so bad. He used to be so nice about things he wanted and if I distracted him from inappropriate that was fine but not anymore he stomps and throws a fit if I give him a broom, mop, spoon, pan something instead of a knife/hot thing (which I can't give him).. I used to be able to get things done that I wanted to get done without him throwing a fit about it but now if I start cooking or cleaning he follows me around screaming about it and like I said distraction isn't working and I can't wear him bc of my back.
He's having tons of mini-meltdowns each day. I just need advice on how to properly address it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sign language was a HUGE help for us when DS was that young. He would be able to tel me what he wanted instead of us playing 20 questions and him getting frustrated because I didn't know what he wanted. He knew about 15 signs (more, milk, juice, hungry/food, all done, please, thank you, etc). Also, when he would get into something, I wouldn't tell him what he couldn't do, but I would tell him what he COULD do. Like if he was trying to get into the kitchen cupboards, I would tell him "ooo, let's play with this!" And put him in front of the place mat drawer with a few wooden spoons and a couple of plastic bowls. He's 3y/o and this still works to keep him occupied when he just wants to be with me in the kitchen and I am trying to get things ready for dinner! :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 12:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• babies that age always want what they can't have. my daughter is at that stage too. i always try to say this is mommies and then i hand her something that she can play with and say this is sarah's. she is always getting into everything. i locked the cabinets and usually she plays pretty well by herself. i understand about the whiney. but i do just distract her and she is so easy though. some babies aren't. maybe get some fake things. my daughter loves water bottles and phones and socks and plays with everything. she loves pretend play. i think it will get easier when they become more verbal but for right now just take a moment and breathe. i usually put her in her highchair and put on the tv when i am doing housework or cooking and cleaning. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• As hard as it is ignore him. He's getting a reaction from you that's why he does what he does. Once he sees he isn't getting his way he will stop. In the mean sing and dance while you work. As he screams louder just sing loader. That's what I do to keep from going bozos.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• *mean time*
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:32 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Dd used to do that as well!! She went to touch the stove and burnt her hand, pulled our lamp over and it sparked... But she learned immediatly why I said "no!" and never attempted it again. Sometimes the only way they learn is a hard way. Dd used to stand by my legs whining constantly (she was 10 mos and her daddy was in Iraq at the time) so I taught her sign language! It cut the whining down soo much! When she needed something, she could sign it and I'd get it for her! We had a much easier time then and the first words she said were words she could sign! It was my biggest relief and with both of us learning together it was a lot of fun!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:59 AM on May. 5, 2010

• No. It doesn't get better. I believe "once a whiner, always a whiner." But I've got a 5 and 2.5 year old girl/boy... and once they really understand directions I found "Use your big girl/boy voice. Here's what you need to say, "Mommy I would like xxxx please." and not "MOOOOMMMMMYYYYY... eeeeehhhhhhhh....."

It is consistent and I don't do anything for them that is a whine or not in adult english.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I forgot about sign language it does help. I focused in on the temper tantrums.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:04 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have a 13 month old who is the SAME way right now... No idea what to do either. If you figure it out let me know please!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I hope its not forever but I have a whiner - he's 2-1/2 and I am trying the "use your big boy voice" or telling him I can't hear that tone but I swear he doesn't know the difference...OMG>..drives me up a wall...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• its totally normal... but sometimes if you give them a lot of attention when they have little meltdowns theyll realize they get attention from you when they act that way and continue to do so. sign language does help a lot
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:35 PM on May. 5, 2010