Help! Can't take it anymore.

6yo going on 15 is driving me nuts!!! Everything I say he purposely either argues with me about (because he thinks he knows it all) and/or doesn't listen. Even if 2 secs ago I asked him not to do something, he'll do it anyway. Then he'll argue with me. "I didn't do that way...I was doing this instead" NOT or lie about it "I didn't do that" when obviously I SAW him do it. DH doesn't seem to care so getting help from him is useless. I've tried having him sitting in the corner (time outs). The loss of privileges, computer, tv, video games, etc. He'll just go back to doing whatever it is or seems to forget why he lost the privileges, even if reminded. I just don't know what to do anymore. Suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6yr old boy is the same way, lol. He argues with everything, lies and doesn't listen, continues behavior i asked him not to. i think it is a phase like the troublesome twos, lol instead it is the sarcastic 6,s. This too will pass. i keep holding on, praying and i know it will pass, continue taking away privilages and toys when they act this way, even if it seems to not work, mybe you don't take away the privilage or toy long enough, they have to have enough time to long for that toy back. just my experience
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 11:29 AM on May. 5, 2010

• What about when you have a good time together and sitting down with him and telling him what's expected and how it actually hurts your feelings to have him lie.

I find with my 5.5 year old, when I tell her no, I can't just be arbitrary about it, I tell her, "NO.... because crossing the street on a busy street will probably hurt you." Or " Knives are sharp and can cause you to bleed if you aren't careful."
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• wow my soon to be 4 year old is the same way. he got to the point where he was blaming things on me and my husband.i am at a loss on what to do as well. we have done all the same things, taking toys away, grounding him, time outs, taking the grandparent weekend visits away,no tv, no books at bed time, no bath toys the whole 9 yards and yet he still does it..
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2010

• OMG.. my 5 yo son is the EXACT SAME WAY!! lol I am not alone! :) I flew off the handle this am because he got soo mad that I wouldn't let him wear shorts.... every day is a struggle and he knows it all and will tell you he does... i get soo frusterated and it is sooo mind numbing to have to deal with day in and day out!! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 1:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Maybe try a behavior chart. Allowing him to place star stickers on the chart when he does good. Once he fills up some of the days with stars then the two of you plan a day to do something special. Like a trip to the playground or to the movies. Hopefully, this will have him wanting to get positive praise for being good, instead of negative. Hope this may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Make the punishments bigger and longer. If you have to take it all and make his whole week miserable then you do it. Stay calm and let him know that you do not tolerate his behavior and stick to your guns. If it's bad enough he will remember and be less likely to want to repeat it.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My 5 year old son is the same way. I have no advice, wish I did. I just posted something similar and I am Praying for good advice. At this point I am DREADING summer (I am a stay at home mom). He just acts like he hates me. He told me on Mother's Day that he wanted a new mommy. I just don't know what to do, I have tried sooooo many things. It's to the point we just make each other miserable. If anyone finds the key to make this better, I would be forever in you debt. It breaks my heart that he acts this way toward me. He doesn't do this to anyone else, at least not even close to the extent he does it to me. His dad sees it, his grandma sees it too.
    jenjen21502

Answer by jenjen21502 at 3:42 PM on May. 10, 2010