Why is that...

people think I am rude because I am quiet and shy? My manager last night at work told me that some of the other workers think I am rude because I don't talk to them. I'm just not a talkative person. They are really loud and bubbly and goofy, and I'm just not like that. I'd rather just do my own thing and go home. I do talk to the other employees, but apparently since I am not up there throwing food with them and running around acting silly I'm rude??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• do what u have to do but try to socialize more with them to create a friendly environement.take it easy and prove them wrong
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:28 AM on May. 5, 2010

• there is a fine line between shy and rude. do you engage in conversation with people? you can be shy and still have polite conversation. i find it rude when i say "hello. how are you?" and someone who claims to be shy responds "i'm fine." and nothing else. if someone is trying to be friendly with you, give a little back. even if your co-workers are not your type, you can still be friendly without leaving your comfort zone.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• my managers have said the same thing about me. On an evaluation i had one manager wrote "zombie like"..i did not find that funny at all. They all act stupid and loud and ignorant and i just do my job and go home. I don't want to get caught up in their drama bs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2010

• write*..i got a lil carried away.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Even if you don't join in, at least smile and don't be a wet blanket. I understand your not wanting to act like a teenager, and like pp said, do what you have to do. I am a little of both, shy AND outgoing, depending on the circumstances.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I'm very outgoing, but work is work. There I'm very different. I do say hi, but that's about it. Unless the conversation is about work. In the different jobs that I've had I've had bosses and co workers try to get me fired. Why? because I made them look bad. My numbers were always higher. What I'm saying stay out the BS do and your job. Don't let them pull you in. Eventually the higher ups will see, who working and who's not. This is also coming from someone who's been the boss.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:53 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I know how they feel. My cousin just married a girl who is "shy". I think she is just rude. She didn't even talk to me during their wedding. She looks the other way when I talk to her. She may very well be shy, but it definitely comes across as rude. You should really try to work on it. You don't need to be the life of the party, but you need to be a part of it. Don't make it look like you think you are superior.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:58 AM on May. 5, 2010

• BTW Acting goofy and throwing Food? I don't care if it's after hours or not. I would have fired the whole lot of them. In this economy it's a employers market. You can have whole new crew by the next day.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:03 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i wouldnt worry about it to much, its your job, your there to make money not friends and goof off. there is a time and place for that and plus i was always told coworkers are not meant to be friends outside of work. thats why they always tell you not to work with friends..
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I never saw quiet people as rude, just thought it was none of my business
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:34 PM on May. 5, 2010