Rolling over at night.

My 4mo old dd has finally figured out that she can roll over, but she only does it while sleeping or tryign to fight sleep. She will roll onto her tummy in the middle of the night then wake up screaming bloody murder because she hates to be on her tummy. She's too big for a sleep positioner... Is there anything I can do to help her out with this one??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let her learn that. I had a sleep positionner too but my 4 mths old DB is rolling over now.if she wake up put her again on her back. watch her for 20 minutes or so while sleeping to figure out what she wants to do. I m trying to keep him on his back at first, he tries to rool over but i block him with my hands on his tummy gently or put him on his side. in the morning he s on his tummy apparently he likes it.if she sleeps on her tummy that she likes it she just not used to it yet.GL
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:36 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Sleep positioners aren't safe for kids who can roll. Try and get her to practice rolling over as much as possible. Give her lots of tummy time. Hopefully, rolling front-to-back will happen REALLY soon, and then, you don't have to worry about this any more.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• if she doesnt like it then put cushions or pillows on her side when she asleep ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• We used sleep sacks when my son was 4 months old and we also used velcro swaddling blankets,they really helped him stay still. I must say add a lot of tummy time during the day, it sounds like your little one is ready to learn the roll and scoot, take advantage of it.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 11:47 AM on May. 5, 2010

• im goin with middleton family. i use a swaddler for my 2 mo old and she sleeps through a whole feeding sometimes if i dont get up for her. i imagine it would do really well for babies who roll over because it keeps their arms down to their side or chest and they cant get the leverage. you can get them at Kmart and they have thin swaddles for summer and fleece for winter.
    nattysmommie

Answer by nattysmommie at 3:34 PM on May. 5, 2010

• OP here: I just weaned her from being swaddled! She figured out how to wiggle out of the blankets and I was waking up 4 or 5 tiems a night to re-wrap her. I even had those swaddle blankets with the velcore.
    Anonymous