middle school ugh......

we just came back from my dd middle school meeting ...it seems as if they are sort of labeling the kids. there will be 3 groups 1st advanced.... 2nd normal pop 3rd underachievers...though they are not calling it this....i think my dd is going to be put into the 3rd group.... like the teacher said the group she will be in wont be all iep kids... they will be all types... ya all types that dont do there work....she does her work.she has an iep.my friend told me it is very hard to get out of this group because the work they do is so below grade.of course they didnt answer the questions i wanted.has any one ever heard of this....it doesnt have any thing to do with the budget we also asked about this???

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 11:51 AM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's pretty standard in my district. At the middle school level they group kids by ability in preperation for high school where the classes are also grouped by ability - AP, honors, academic, general, etc.

I think you might be taking it too personally.
    Anonymous

• most schools do that when they hit middle school because the range of what they know is sooo great. what you can expect out of an advanced student would be unfair to a child with less core skills. yes it is hard to get out of the low groups but honestly even in primary school that is a hard feat to accomplish. kids learn at different paces. that is biology. the best thing you can do is get her a tutor - like at least 4 days a week. make her practice school stuff all the time. it wil just take a lot of work to keep her on track. best of luck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• anon 12;16...OP OP----this kids are not being placed by abilty but more on personality......i have a friend that son has asbergers .. he does well in math but not in reading.....so he was put into this group.. well of course since they did not put the kids in levels he did below his level in math there for he fell way behind....these kids cant go up to the next level because they arent doing grade level now....they are not classifying them on there skills but how good of a student they are... which seems really unfair to me...
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 12:33 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You need to take a look at her IEP. Make sure that it states general education setting for the subjects she deosnt need help with. For example, if she does very well in math, she cant be put in a remedial math class simply because shes on an IEP if she doesnt require help with math. The IEP is your friend, the school has to follow it.

Id take offense to the school attempting to pigeonhole my child too...Ive had many fights with the school getting my son an appropriate education that accomodates his special needs (high functioning aspergers or nvd/dyspraxia, depending on the doctor). My school seems to want to take the easy route with him and just pass him through rather than teaching him anything. Im the squeaky wheel. Ive gone so far as to call my city and county advocates for children with special needs. It only takes butting heads a few times before they'll realize you're serious and not going to play their games.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 6, 2010