Basement cleaning

Lately our basement stinks.we have a mold odor in the landry room that extends to the basement.do you have any magical idea how to clean it and especialy make it smeel good?

Imane1215

Asked by Imane1215 at 12:05 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• check your drains - they may have backed up a bit or gotten blocked - that can stink up a basement pretty good.

Anonymous

• Sounds like you need a de-humidifier. I big one. There are only a few products that work on mold--tile-ex mold and mildew remover. There are fabreeze products that take away the stink. However you have to cure the problem or it will return. My house is musty and we just turned on the a.c. it has been really humid here in Md.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• If you smell mold then it's most likely behind the walls. You NEED to get that inspected right away, because mold can be very dangerous. Especially if the mold spores are inhaled, which is most likely what you're doing if you can smell the odor. Get it checked out and find the source of the mold and how much of the home has been infected. Then have the mold tested to see what type of mold it is. Then get it treated properly by a proffessional. If it's dangerous mold then you'll need to strip the walls to the studs and rebuild. Because that stuff does come back easily if not properly removed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:05 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You have gotten some good advice so far. I use mr. clean multi purpose cleaner with febreze when I want the house to smell fresh.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:19 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Tile-X mold and mildew cleaner, and I agree a big ole DE humidifier.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:49 AM on May. 6, 2010