Mental illness and Chiropractors

So I was reading a post today about a mom who's brother has various issues. She briefly stated that he went to a chiropractor and is now off all meds. I'm not doubting what she is saying, but would like to know if there is any evidence to this. Has anyone else been able to take their child to a chiropractor to "better" their childs conditions such as ADHD or Bipolar for example? I do think there is something to chiropracting, but you never know really what to think! Just looking for experiences...

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 12:09 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Chiropractors are great. I'd love to go if I could find on in my area. It's a great stress reliever. Also, acupuncture is great for things like that too. You put this question in "kids health" and I should say that a child can not correctly be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Those meds are poison and no child should ever be put on them. I wrote a paper on alternative medicine last semester. You can goggle alternative medicine and ADHD or just Google chiropracty.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Have never had to try it but I have heard of it working. It is also supposed to work for sinus problems. I don't get the connection.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:32 PM on May. 5, 2010

• a chiropractor is a doctor of the nervous system the nervous system controls everything. if there is a disturbance in nerve flow, and the chiropractor can correct it, then you see changes. the father of chiropractic's first adjustment allowed a deaf man to hear again.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I can see it helping in nerve dysfunction but not in chemical dysfunction. That being said, chiropractor's may be able to help cure a lot of ailments but, if it's a chemical disorder that's causing the mental health issue, I'd approach the situation with cautious optimism....
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:35 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't believe it. Things like Bipolar are chemical imbalances and need meds to properly treat them. Most mental illness is a chemical imbalance. I would NOT go to a chiropractor for treatment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• musculoskeletal imbalances can lead to brain dysfunction.
    i personally would try anything before medication.
    first i would eat and live as clean as possible.
    i would try chiropractic.
    i would try acupuncture.
    i would try a homeopath.
    there are many cases where chiropractic has helped, and cured adhd and bipolar. honestly, i don't know anything about how these things are diagnosed, so that could be a crucial variable as well.
    there have been studies that indicate supplementing with fish oil (the good fats) can cure brain dysfunctions as well. in the absence of the good fats needed, the brain will use trans fats instead, allowing brain function, but not great function.
    my point is, behavior disorders are poorly understood, so why lock yourself into any one treatment?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:16 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I am not sure if I would have my child go to one...maybe for adults it might help if the condition isn't severe. I would try diet changes.....
    Anonymous

• Yes! In my town, a child with severe adhd went to the chiro and his condition improved dramactically.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on May. 6, 2010