Do you think some people are too embarressed to tell people that they believe in God?

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'd rather keep my belief of God quiet and then everything will remain peaceful.
Anytime I have been in a discussion about religion it turns into an arguement.
I have not read the bible inside out. I am not a priest or a preacher. I am an average human being, a sinner just like all the rest but my faith in God remains strong.
But there are so many out there that just don't have the faith anymore. I've been told I am brain washed. I have been told that my "god" is the boogey man. I have been told that my belief that Satan is real..he is a fallen Angel is just stupid.

So, I keep it to myself.
And I find that sad.
I miss the days when I could talk about God and it was not challenged. It was a good conversation, I variation of beliefs and what the bible means to each of us, as if it were written for each of us as individuals.
Are you embarressed to tell people you believe in God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It can be challenging to talk to people. People just want their beliefs/opinions to be acknowledged even when you disagree and you can still be respectful.

*******Sometimes its possible to agree without compromising your beliefs.

Proberbs 27:11 "Be wise my son and make my heart glad that I may answer him who reproaches(taunts) me."

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:45 PM on May. 5, 2010

• NO! I will never be embarassed. Jesus didn't come to make PEACE! Your beliefs will inevitable stir up controversy and commotion. Don't let it phase you. Your faith and God will carry you through.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:29 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Why do you have to tell people? My advice is to educate yourself via reading of all faiths and outlooks so you can feel knowledgable in these discussions and probably develop a confidence in your beliefs. Obtaining the confidence will hopefully relinquish you from embarressment.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't say you are embarrassed it's just that you don't like to have your beliefs challenged. That's normal. Nobody likes to be told their belief is stupid, imaginary, evil, or any other choice words. This goes for any belief system. You sound like a non- confrontational person which is a good thing. If you don't want your beliefs challenged, then by all means avoid religious discussions and talk to the people in your church who can relate to your beliefs. But yes like missbreezy said when your faith is strong you tend to take everything in stride. It doesn't phase you because it can't. Yeah you'll meet some people who don't agree with you, but that's their choice. Refuse to debate it with them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• no way jose
    Anonymous

• Yes there are lots of people who feel this way, but it can work both ways. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't have a strong belief in God, but pretend to because they feel it's what others around them want. I think a lot has to do with an individuals personality, how private they are, how strong their desire to fit in is. Also it has a lot to do with where you live, and how strong the beliefs are in that area of the world you live in.

I have strong beliefs but I'm mostly private, I don't hide my religion or my beliefs but I don't bombard people with them either.  I don't think you should be overly outwardly religious because it often feels like it's done more for show rather then sincerity.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I must have a sign on my forehead. i get all the time your Christian right? Can I talk to you. This manly happens in Bars. DH and have date night and we like to sing, and we dance with each other. Almost every Saturday night someone has some question. Never seem to get in arguments great discussions but not arguments.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:28 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You should not be ashamed of Yahweh or his words. I would pray about that.Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:32 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Manly? LOL sorry mainly.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:57 PM on May. 5, 2010

• No, I think it is the opposite in some areas. You better not be anything but Christian in some places in the Bible belt. You will get the barade of questions: What is your denomination? Do you go to church? Where do you go to church? No one from the Bible belt is afraid to shout it and ususally right in your face. Sorry OP but I have not yet met a Christian who is afraid to say they believe in God. But that's the Bible Belt.
    Anonymous