on a very strick budget. hubby is the only one working right now. i can not find a job that will give me any money left after childcare and gas

i was just wondering if you ladys can help me out with my food budget. do you eat your 3 meals a day and what do you snack on between meals. i am trying to find out if my family of 4 is not eatting enough. trying to find out what types of snacks your family snacks on during the day and how offten do they do this.
i am not good in the kitchen and just need help in this area. i have lots of time during the day but i do not know how i can save on the food part. we can not get any help with our food becasue hobby makes to much like $100.00. i can not find a job after i paychild care for two children and put gas in my car. i am going to work for nothing and not even getting $5 at the end of wk. i can not go back to school becasuse i can not afford that either. i want to do better but can not get out of the crack. we have the basics at home no sell phones no cable. our internet is $15 a mo and phone is $30.thanks for any help

horselover2

Asked by horselover2 at 12:28 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• There's tons of ways to go back to school. Grants and scholarships. There's daycare help. You can work your scheduale around your husbands. Work nights a couple days a week or something. I buy mostly fruits and vegetables. Don't buy boxed crap. That stuffs disgusting and will make your family fat.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:31 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Can you try working from home to make some extra money? Your screen name says your a horselover...do you own a horse? Do you know how to ride? Maybe you can offer riding lessons? Or babysit a few children?
    Anonymous

• How much is your money do you have for your food budget?
    Anonymous

• i would love to work around my hubby's scheduale. every 18 wk's he goes to nights he works 12hr shift 4 days a wk and then he goes to days and does the same thing over again. every month they switch ends of the wk's. i looked into of trying to find child care help and again hubby makes to much. my children start full time school in two yr's. every thing will be better then i just need some idea's right now on the food part. thanks
    horselover2

Answer by horselover2 at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• no i do not have any horses. i had horses growing up. but nothing now. my food budget is $40 a wk. i would love to babysit but we live way out in the sticks live 5 miles from towne. the families that we have by us all of there children are growen up.
    horselover2

Answer by horselover2 at 12:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Could you watch even 1 extra child for some spending money?

we eat things like oatmeal, fruit, cereal, english muffin and cream cheese for breakfast, eggs..basically something quick. I like leftovers for lunch so I only have to cook one big meal in the evening.

I try to have avariety of fruits and veggies at dinner so atleast if my dd eats a few bites of green beans, a few of carrots, and some fruit then she gets a full serving between the 5 things i offer. I just bag up the fruit and put it out again at the next meal. I buy whole wheat pasta and you can cut back on meat. brown rice is fairly cheap and will round out a meal. Stir fry is good with rice, lots of veggie and some chicken with teryiaki.
    snacks- fruits, veggies, plain vanilla yogurt with generic cheerios is my dd favorite. i freeze xtra juice to make popsicles.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• also whatever veggies you have at the end of the week (even if they look a littel limp) will be good in a friday night stew. throw in onions, celery, left over green beans, a little frozen corn and peas, could do potatoes or pasta or left over rice for a starch. I add a can of tomato something..crushed tomatoes or condensed tomato soup. and some water and beef boullion cube. just let it simmer, it will be hearty and so good.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:46 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I think your question was about how to save $ in the kitchen..,
    First, avoid anything pre-made, pre-chopped, pre-mixed, etc. (shred your own cheese, chop nuts, bake from scratch...) Second, don't snack. Make three hearty, healthy meals and if hungry in between reheat leftovers. Third, use the internet to find budget friendly recipes. I swear by Taste of Home and allrecipes. I've switched to a lot of bean and other vegetarian dishes. We've tried a lot of new recipes & from my favorite websites they are usually good. One big hit was spaghetti carbonara which is basically noodles, bacon, onion and eggs. If the snacking rule is too harsh, try buying the clearance fruit. You might have to ask your grocery what day they put out clearance.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:51 PM on May. 5, 2010

• good lunches and snacks are also peanut butter on crackers with bananas. a box of crackers and jar of peanut butter go a long way! I agree it will be best for your kids and your budget if you cook most of your food and dont use a box. you can make something similar to hamburger helper with noodles, beef and tomato sauce..and throw in a few veggies and only use 1/2 lb of meat to stretch meal.

i sometimes put frzen corn, peas, carrots in crock pot with onion and a potato or 2, add 1 can cream of chicken soup with water adn chicken boullion cube. cook on low a few hours and serve with biscuits. not totally healthly but very good! you can add a can of chicken if its a good week lol.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Our weekly food budget is $60 or less every week for a family of 4 adults and 3 tweens. We eat 3 meals a day and snacks and we don't starve.
    You said you live out in the boonies, do you have room for a garden? Now would be a perfect time to get that going, and you can grow all the veggies you'd need for the next year, not to mention plenty of fresh veggies during the growing season. Do you have room for a few chickens for eggs?
    Can you cook from scratch? That will save a lot of money vs. buying premade meals or snacks. If not, learn and practice. You don't have to be a gourmet cook, just the basic skills will get you some tasty meals if you can follow a recipe.
    Breakfasts: Pancakes from scratch; oatmeal (not instant) topped with various things like peanut butter & jelly, jam, fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup; stick with plain cold cereals like corn flakes, crispy rice, toasted oats; baked breakfast casserole.
    cont.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:00 PM on May. 5, 2010