Can you reccommed a good cross-reference bible?

I want one in "modern language" so no KJV... preferably NIV or something comparable to it. Thanks! (like, the "name" of the bible, publisher and stuff... so that I can find it and order it!)

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:42 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I use the St. Joseph NAB. Not only does it cross reference verses. It also has foot notes explaining the meaning of words and phrases. It also is directly translated from the original languages.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:12 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Is that catholic? Cuz I'm not catholic. So that would be a problem, seeing as they are different.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:19 PM on May. 5, 2010

• New international bible all the way
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:26 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Here is a site for bibles with the holy names restored. A great add to any bible collection. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 1:30 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Yes it the only difference is the what Protestents call the Apocripha which even Martin Luther and Calvin used. Although the NIV is also very good. It does have the same things. Footnotes and cross reference. You should also look into the Naves Bible reference. It's in Alphabetical form, so you can find what you're looking for easier.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:34 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I use the Illustrated Bible Handbook by Lawrence O. Richards. I believe tt's a Protestant version. I bought it years ago. I still like it.  I'm going to check out the book you suggested too oldermom.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I forgot to add that the book by Richards is designed to go with the NIV translation.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Kregal's Companion Bible
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:43 AM on May. 7, 2010