Why does it cost so much to live in New York?

Apartments going for $15,000.00 per month? I don't even make that much in a year! WOW!
Are the jobs really paying that much more there?
Its only two states away from where I live!
What if I got a job there and lived here..think I'd make enough to just fly back and forth to work everyday...especially if I didn't have to pay that kind of rent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• tell me about it. i live in the suburbs on NYC, i pay 1300 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. i cant find a job anywhere and my SO makes $11 an hr working overnight stock at a supermarket.

i lived in FL for a couple of yrs and i paid 750 a month for a 1 bd rm in a gated community, with 3 pools on the bay & a fitness center.

its ridiculous to live here.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:23 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Location is everything. Its a big city...you'll find that everywhere. LA, Chicago, Miami, etc.
    Anonymous

• Did you really mean 15,000.00 a month? That's an annual salary for many people.
    Fly back and forth to work daily? Are you crazy?
    Anonymous

• I can sell you a house on Long Island for $330k. You can take the train in 1 hour each way. Is that how you want to spend your life? Yes, the salaries are a little better, but not all that much.
    Anonymous

• Its the same in So Cal, rent is crazy high. Location, Location, Location.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2010

• If they are selling Condos in New York for 5 million...as I have seen on tv...then whoever can afford such an expensive place to live has to be making good money. If I could make that kind of money and live in another state, and fly back and forth to work..then my income would be even greater and I could live in a gorgeous huge house for 5 million and not a tiny apartment for 5 million. Sounds realistic to me! And no, I don't want a house in Long Island, thanks.
    Anonymous