How to get my 2 yr old to stop saying "Shut UP???

My hubby yelled at the dog a few weeks back SHUT UP! and now my 2 yr old has picked it up and says it when she is mad! Anyone else have this problem? Should I just ignore her or timeout? I have tried the timeout and it seems not to work.....HELP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Parenting

• Correct her every time she says it and say "That's not nice. We say be quiet." or whatever you want her to say instead. It will take time, but she will get it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• We had the same problem with our 2 year old. My sister took him to my brother-in-laws firestation and he picked up the word douchbag. The first few times he said it I made a big deal about it and realizing that getting upset and fussing at him wasn't going to work I just completely ignored it and he stopped saying it in a few days.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My 2.5 year old says" Fuck" it is so embarrassing.
    Anonymous

• I would probably have a stroke if one of my kids dropped the "f" word. I don't even think they have ever heard it.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:24 PM on May. 5, 2010

• my 2 yo says bag of poop. i tried correcting him like 1st poster said, and i tried ignoring it like laci said, and that didn't work either! the novelty is wearing off...after 2 weeks! when he says it, i say bag of love, or hugs or snuggles...and then repeat that.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:33 PM on May. 5, 2010