16 and Pregnant

I was just watching this show on mtv and I wondered what other people's opinions are on this show. Do you think it's a good way to show young people that they should wait to have sex, or do you think it just makes them think it would be cool to be on tv?

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 1:16 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I were a teen watching that show it would deter me from wanting a child. Those girls lives suck.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i like that show alot. i dont think its glorifies teen pregnancy at all. i think it shows the reality of it, and will probably make teens think twice. they know that theyre not all going to be on TV and i doubt that they are going to go and get pregnant just to be on tv for an hour.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:19 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I guess it depends on the teen. Ones who actually think about it, yes it is a good way to show them how it really is to be a parent at such a young age. Of course many think that would never happen to them.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:19 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My teens watch this show. IT really clears up the issues that they have yet to see. IT is hard and those kids are tired. It shows them how it changes your life for ever and how they can not just hang out with girlfriends any more. I personally dislike it. However it does make them happy that they are not in that place.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I think its a pretty good show. The only thing I wish they would show more of is the labor and delivery of the babies. That would really freak girls out if they could see first hand how painful it is! But most of these girls' relationships with their boyfriends go bad and they break up, so maybe young girls will see that and realize that their boyfriends most likely won't stick around if they get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• It's another form of birth control.I would call it the "get real" one.Teens who don't know people in this situation need to atleast see someone going through it.I am all for "risk reduction".
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 1:21 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I agree with both of you, but dh laughs at me for watching it and thinks it's stupid. I actually feel sorry for most of the girls because it seems a lot of them have rough family lives. I think it shows how much they have to sacrifice to become parents and how tough it is.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 1:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I like the show. Not to be mean, but I think the show gives a good look at what the dad's do....dissapear. Teens sometimes daydream that the dad will stick around when most reality is they dont.....
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't think it makes them wait to have sex, but I do think it makes them take birth control more seriously.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I think it will make SOME teens think more about birth control and the reality of being pregnant and having a baby, but I think MANY teens will still think these things won't actually happen to them - they either think they won't get pregnant, or that if they do it will be a happily ever after fairytale for them. I think the girls who are most vulnerable to becoming pregnant will see the cute little babies and want one, or they will think they are smarter than the girls on the show or that they have a better boyfriend or whatever.
    Anonymous