The NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION?

My son is 16 weeks old and a few weeks ago he was starting to hit 5 hour stretches at night, pretty consistenty. After that he would be up every 2 hours to BF. But in the last few weeks he can't seem to sleep for longer than 3 hours, and then up again every 90 min to 2 hours. I am losing my mind a bit with exhaustion--weepy, irritable, snappy with my 4 year old.

We started using THE NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION but after 4 days my son actually seems to be waking up even more (and it's taking longer to put him down each time). Last night he woke up at least 6-7 times. I am fearful that this technique may be making his sleep habits worse.

Has anyone here used this book and did you have success? Any other book suggestions?

I know that 4 month olds aren't champion sleepers, but this situation needs to improve for the health of my entire family.

Thanks for listening

tiredmomma33

Asked by tiredmomma33 at 1:40 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • my son was like that until he was 17 months old.

i read the no cry sleep solution but i was always too tired to really do the work that it involves, and just thought i would wait until he did it on his own. like i said that took months and months.

i would think that if you really stuck to it for a few weeks, you might see good results :)

it could be that your baby is having a growth spurt. of course, i just felt like my son would have a growth spurt for 3 weeks, then go a week, then have another growth spurt for 3 weeks.

i know how you feel! ((HUGS))
    Anonymous

• I read that book and agree with the above poster - it's too much work in the middle of the night! It's SO much easier to just BF and put them back down...I have ALWAYS nursed on demand and my dd is about to turn 1. She still gets up 3-4 times per night for 5 minutes of comfort nursing (and I suppose maybe some real hunger but I have no way of knowing..). Some babies just AREN'T "good" sleepers no matter what technique you try. Most of my friends did the CIO method and they all claim it works after about a week...I just can't do it. I'm doing what works for me. What has made getting up at night a lot easier for me was just accepting that this is part of having a baby and not stressing over WHY my baby keeps waking up - you will never know so what's the point?? Can your husband get up a time or two at night to help you get more rest? Is your baby napping during the day? better naps=better sleepers at night!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• its a huge waiting game really. my daughter is just 2 months old so im still just starting this journey but with my 3 year old she was a good 6 months old before she slept through the night. i started feeding her on demand at 2 months old and she slept about 4 hours before her next feeding. my new born is on demand now also and she still eats every 3 hours so i would just go with him on this. i know its hard but babies are kinda one sided on this kinda stuff.
    nattysmommie

Answer by nattysmommie at 3:27 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks for the feedback. I would like to just "go with it" except that getting no sleep for weeks on end is having a massive impact on my life: I'm too tired to exercise, to entertain my oldest child, etc. I'm weepy all the time and don't feel much joy at all. And when nighttime rolls around I get this sick feeling in my stomach.

My husband can't really help out at night too often--I am on maternity leave but he still works full time. He's been offering more lately b/c he sees that I'm a wreck but he needs to sleep too.

And no, the baby doesn't nap well. He will take 2-3 naps/day but they never last for more than 45-60 min. And I've used the suggestions from TNCSS book for extending his naps--doesn't work. I'd love to spend all day working on his napping w/ him but I have another child to entertain.

Sorry to rant but I just don't know how long I can take this.
    tiredmomma33

Answer by tiredmomma33 at 4:04 PM on May. 5, 2010

• He;'s still too young for ANY sleep training method. This one DOES work...but for older babies. CIO also for older babies.

Are you sleeping when he does sleep? That's VITAL. And DUMP that which is not needed to live. If you won't keel over dead from not doing a thing, then DON'T do it. Housework, laundry...it'll wait. Hubby CAN help. No, I have no pity for his full time job...I work TWO jobs and can still keep up what's NEEDED (strictly defined as laundry and dishes...the floor will WAIT). :-)

FOR THE TIME BEING...videos were created just for entertaining older children while mom gets down time.

I will also suggest you consider co-sleeping as an alternative. It's a lifesaver for many moms and YES, you WILL get baby out of your bed when baby is ready. (And that's when sleep happens...when BABY is ready.)

Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• "FOR THE TIME BEING...videos were created just for entertaining older children while mom gets down time."

By the way...I mention this only because this is survival strategy. I don't recommend this on a regular basis.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:44 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Can you have someone - even a babysitter - come over for a couple of hours so you can take a nap?? Somehow I was able to sort of adjust to less sleep but I know some people need it more than others, a good nap might be just what you need! If you have family around I'm sure they'd come watch the baby for and hour or two - good luck!!! It will get better!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:31 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Where is baby sleeping? Since you are breastfeeding I suggest you bring baby into bed with you. This way you don't have to "get up" when he wakes to nurse. This saved me with my first, with numbers 2 & 3 I just brought them right into my bed from the start! More info at Should I sleep with my baby?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:41 PM on May. 5, 2010

• sigh. I DO co-sleep with my son (I sleep upstairs in the nursery with him). Initially that is what bought me more sleep. But now it doesn't. he wants to nurse all the time (even though he east every 90 min to 2 hours during the day). And we live very far from our families, or else they'd be here.

I know I sound like Debbie Downer, but this situation is just very difficult for me. I'm wondering if maybe it's more than sleep deprivation is possibly late onset post partum depression?
    tiredmomma33

Answer by tiredmomma33 at 8:13 PM on May. 5, 2010