What do you do when your baby wants to be rocked to sleep, but refuses to sleep when you lay her down?

Ok i have 2 girls, 1 is 4 mos, and the other is 22 mos. My 4 mos old baby refuses to let me put her down for a nap, she cries and screams etc.. I have tons of cleaning and have to make lunch for my other daughter, and cater to her needs as welll, so any advice will be helpful. thank you...

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Baby wearing works well or swaddle her in one of your worn t-shirts so she smells you
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You lay her down and pat her back tell she is asleep then you slowly stop pating her.

Answer by louise2 at 1:51 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You have 3 kids under 2 and you are worried about cleaning? Your prioraties are messed up . Worry about the kids first clean when you can.

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• louise2...she is also worried about tending to the older childs needs and not just cleaning.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:01 PM on May. 5, 2010

• OP HERE: My dear I have 2 girls under the age of 3. I can never relax in a dirty house it just bugs me, so once the girls are sleeping or Napping i am cleaning. Plus my other daughter needs my attention too.. I am a bit tired, Should I just say the hell with it and Nap with my girls??? lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:09 PM on May. 5, 2010

• if it is nice outside where you live make lunch in the morning like a sandwich get drinks ready, and take the kids for a walk my 8 almost 9 month old loves to fall asleep while going for a walk stop by a park and have a picnic lunch four month old can still sleep. then you and the 22 month old can play and have a relaxing lunch then hopefully by then the older one will be ready for a nap as well.
    Or you get lunch ready before younger baby gets ready for nap, when older ones ready all you have to do is take it out heat it up then take move your rocking chair in the kitchen, rock baby with some quiet music while older one eats. By the time the older one is done eating the younger one should be asleep.
    Baby wearing is also a good option. I have noticed when you do things the way the baby prefers it to be done like falling asleep it goes a lot smoother.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 2:12 PM on May. 5, 2010

• If your 4 month old learns to soothe herself to sleep then if she wakes back up it will be easier for her to get herself back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem. I have found that baby wearing (I have a Baby Bjorn) and swaddling (LOVE love love Halo swaddles) works well. The baby wearing allows me to still "hold" him while also being able to help my 3yr and the swaddling really helps comfort him by emulating the feeling of being held.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 4:51 PM on May. 6, 2010