How much do you think the average Stay at home mom's salary would be worth?

And the total salary for mom should be...
(And don't forget the overtime!)

Stay-at-Home Mom: 58.9 hours of overtime
Working Mom: 20.5 hours of overtime
With time and a half for overtime, if an employer had to pay cash for all that mom does:
Stay-at-Home Mom: $117,855.86
Working Mom: $71,860.37*
*This is on top of Working Mom’s regular salary, of course.

http://salary.com/Articles/ArticleDetail.asp?part=par1938

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• min wage x 40 hrs a week
    min wage and 1/2 x104 hrs
    min wage x 2 x 24 (sunday double time)
    holidays are triple time
    equals a heck of a lot!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I always hate the study, I do everything a SAHM does, plus work full time, yet somehow my "salary" is less
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• ^^^^^^
    physically impossible. you don't care for and teach your child(ren) while you area at work. it makes sense that you would add in extra wages for the hours you are out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Yeah, well I don't buy it. I am a working mom. And, if you count the SAHM's time as overtime only after 40 hours, and consider that a Working Mom, works 40 then comes home and does the exact same thing that a working mom does, and makes more than minimum wage for the first 40, then yeah, the study is BS.
    It should look more like this:
    SAHM- min wage x 40 hrs a week
    min wage and 1/2 x104 hrs
    min wage x 2 x 24 (sunday double time)
    holidays are triple time

Working Mom - At least 2X min wage X 40 hrs a week
    min wage and 1/2 X 104 hrs
    min wage x 2 x 24 (sunday double time)
    holidays are triple time

Anonymous

• Zero- it's choice. You do not get paid (nor should you) for doing something that you choose to do and only directly benefits you and your family. That's why SAHMs accrue no SS. Sorry, no one should think they deserve to be paid for washing underwear, grocery shopping for their own family and nurturing their own children.

Anonymous

• I am a SAHM with a Master's Degree so I should get paid more! LOL
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon 2:05
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:07 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I love this study! I told my DH I would out earn him if I got paid. He didn't believe me until I wrote it all down and showed him the math. I know it pisses off working moms but really I love this. And to the shitty comment that grocery shopping, which feeds the family, doing laundry and nurturing our own children instead of paying someone more than our mortgage costs to nurture, and typically not do it well, are very important. No one said we should get paid to be at home so get pissy elsewhere. You sound like you feel guilty.
    Anonymous

• That's why SAHMs accrue no SS. Sorry, no one should think they deserve to be paid for washing underwear, grocery shopping for their own family and nurturing their own children.

No one said they should you idiot. The questions is how much WOULD they. Not should they.

Anonymous

• Since the question is how much would they, why are working moms not considered "on the clock" at home when they are off the clock at their real job? I mean after all, working moms do the laundry, wash the clothing, do the grocery shopping, get up in the night if the child is sick, etc. the same as SAHM's they just have a real job too.
    So, the study is bogus.
    Anonymous