How can you check to see if period will start soon?

Ok, I know this sounds stupid, but I have very irregular cycles. My husband and I are trying for a second baby, and my doctor gave me some promethium to start some regular periods. After my period on April 6, I expected my period to start on May 4. I did a pg test, but it came out negative. I checked my cervix (first time) but I really don't know how I can tell if my period is to come soon.
TMI: When I tried to check my cervix, all I felt was some spongey, firm feeling. I also had some white thickish discharge. I have no idea if I did it right or not or what that means.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 2:17 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• First idea is to get the book by Toni Weschler "Taking Charge of your fertility"
    When the cervix protrudes low into your vagina it is not getting ready for ovulation. The cerix will pull up into your uterus the closer you get to ovulation. The opening will also open further when you are fertile (ovulating)

To judge when your period will come, you need to know when you are ovulating. You will always be a set # of days between ovulation and period but it can vary between the first day of your period and when you ovulate...thus irregular cycles.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks for answering Jade. :) We have been "trying" for almost a year, but it's really been this past month that we are actually ttc. According to some sites, I should have ovulated the 17 th on this month. The funny thing too, is that for about a 1 day before the 17th, and for a few more days afterwards I my nipples were pretty sore. The area of my C-section scar also felt very weird. The all of a sudden it went away. I don't know if I ovulated and didn't get pregnant, and this will be another long cycle.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2010

• The other downside to an irregular period is that without checking, you may not ovulate. You will show symptoms, sore nips, bloating... but not ovulate. if you don't ovulate, the only way to know is by tracking your basal body temp. I would start tracking all of this. At least if you don't get pregnant, you can show your doc your results and he will have a better game plan for getting you some assistance instead of shooting in the dark
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:46 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My doctor told told his nurse to tell me I should have come in for day 21 blood testing. They were going to check for hormone levels, but the nurse told me it was optional to go in (when dr. later said it was not). I also probably should have bought one of those ovulation kits. It's irritating me that my period has yet to come. I just want to start tracking this, you know?
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 5:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility is THE way to go. Don't waste your money on ovulation kits.

I also have irregular periods. Wasted LOTS of money on OPKs and then bought Toni Wechsler's book. Pregnant the NEXT month...and the OPK claimed I was NOT ovulating at the time.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:27 AM on May. 6, 2010