Multisensory Approach to Reading-Phonics?

Does anyone have any information on HOW to teach reading-phonics (and spelling) using an multi-sensory approach?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 2:30 PM on May. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is a technique called VAKT (visual, auditory, kinetic, tactile) where students do a sequence of activities that involve fine and gross motor skills to learn letters and sounds. They look at a word, then say it and spell it aloud, then use their whole body or big motions to make the letters, then practice writing it on a textured surface.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:29 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i have been a reading teacher for 6 years and never heard of that... (gasp!) i will look into it though...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:36 PM on May. 5, 2010

• At my daughter's old school, one of the ways they taught them spelling words was to write it out in either one of three mediums using a sided cookie sheet and either sand, flour or shaving cream. You could also do it with finger paints. Another way is to have alphabet stampers and have the children stamp each letter in the word.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 3:57 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks ladies so far for the replies; I'm aware of various activities that can be done. However there is a system. First you do this, then that, then this.... Or at least that's my understanding. I'm more interested in learning the system vs. various activities.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:52 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't know if it's realated but my lessons call for him to write new words in the air with his finger and to use letter cubes to makes his lists.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:29 PM on May. 7, 2010