How do I add vegetables to my daughter's vegetable-deprived diet? I need serious help!! :-(

My baby is 22 months old, and to be frank, she was getting way more vegetables in her daily diet when she was eating pureed foods. I don't eat a lot of vegetables, and so when I prepare a veggie, and she doesn't like it, it gets wasted. I don't like wasting food.

I'm thinking about resuming the pureed vegetables. How do I add them to what she already eats? How do I "sneak" them in? She won't eat pureed foods anymore, so I don't plan on giving it to her straight from the jar.

Thanks ladies!

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 2:43 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• you can put puree carrots in meat loaf or hamburgers. You can add pureed squash in with mac&cheese. You should also offer her regular vegetables everyday. Some kids do not like new things and will only eat them after being offered them multiple times.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:45 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i used to put the vegies in the blender and them pu them in their soup and they would eat it . although i had to blend it and put it in the soup without them seeing it or else they wouldnt touch the plate lol
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 2:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I love the cookbook "deceptively delicious" It is awesome!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I used to put diced carrots in spaghetti sauce - they never knew. Also, my 22 MO is doing the same thing, so I give him v8 fusion juice at breakfast and snack so he at least gets something! he's also anti meat, so now that I think about it, he lives on pancakes and peanut butter :-)
    although I did have mushroom stuffed spinach rigatoni one night and he chowed on that, along with the turkey meatballs. so it's like he's kinda anti-vegetable vegan. oh, but he'll live on yogurt.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 2:48 PM on May. 5, 2010

• For optimum health here are a few tricks I use. When making anything like burgers, taco meat, I grate celery carrots onion and green pepper finely in the meat., also I use garlic and olive oil in everything. Use plenty of veggies they only add flavor and you need to get at least a full serving or more in the meals. I prefer to use ground turkey, but a lean beef is fine. You can even put broccoli in it. Just grate it into meat and you can even add an egg for protein and to bind. Tomatoe meat can also be added to any of this. Hope this helps. I'll mail you some more ideas when I can.
    treece

Answer by treece at 2:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i make my own version of hot pockets! the dough recipe is very easy and you can make many different fillings. The big hit for my family is cream of chicken, grated carrots and garlic. I have also found sneaking pureed veggies in pasta sauce a big hit.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Sounds like you need to look at your own diet first and add vegetables into your daily meals - and then offer her what you're eating.
    Anonymous

• Also, if you don't want to waste veggies, buy frozen. Then you can cook just a tablespoon at a time in the microwave (put 'em in a cup with a little water and cover with saran wrap or something akin to that and nuke for a minute, just to warm the veggie through).
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

• The key here is that you don't eat a lot of veggies. If you want her to eat a certain way, you must eat that way also. Give her what you eat and don't worry about what she likes/dislikes. She will learn by your habits and expectations. In other countries, children eat fish rice and veggies because that is what they are offered.
    Anonymous

• Others have come up with good suggestions. I would like to add that I add spinach or purred/finely diced carrots or tomatoes to mac and cheese or spaghetti, two big favorites in my house.

I also agree with the poster who said you should start eating them yourself. If she sees you do not like peas, she is not going to want to try peas. My husband and I make a point of eating vegetables with our son every day. We always eat dinner together and serve two veggies (some deceptively, in the meatloaf or mac and cheese, say) with the meal, and we get healthy portions of the veggies and say how yummy and good for us they are. Might be coincidence, but my son LOVES peas, green beans, and carrots...they are the first things he will eat off his plate most nights. We also make sure to drink water to set a good example for him, and he drinks plain water which Cafe Mom has made me aware is a rarity among toddlers these days.
    Anonymous