I need a Mothers Successful Expertise in "the Cry it Out Method"

My 4 month old baby is driving me NUTs! She cries and screams to be held, rocked etc. She has a clean diaper, she is fed, she is not sick, no fever.. etc.. I am considering the cry it out method. My question is when is it goof to start it? How long do I let my baby cry? How do I keep my cool? and any other beneficial info you can give.. Thank you very much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thats what babies do they cry and want to be held. She is 4 months old being held and having close contact is a physical NEED not a want. Hold her.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:58 PM on May. 5, 2010

• hold your baby, of course she is doing that, all babies do!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:00 PM on May. 5, 2010

• That is way too young to cry it out. I never let my kids cry. Pick her up and hold her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I used that method with my daughter when she was about 3 months old, what I would do it put her to bed sing her a song and kiss her and then set a timer for 20 min ( I know it seems like forever when she's screaming in bed), but it only took about 15 minutes for her to cry her self to sleep! And now I'm using the method again now that we are weaning her off her "Nuk"! I know its hard! If she doesn't calm down after 20 minutes go in give her a hug and a kiss and tell her everything is going to be ok maybe sing to her again. And repeat! It works trust me!! Hang in there! And Good Luck!
    momma2b2008

Answer by momma2b2008 at 3:05 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I'm sorry, that's too young for CIO. Your baby wants held. That's what babies do. Sometimes they just need their mommy.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:06 PM on May. 5, 2010

• thats way too young for CIO.
    GET A SWING!!! its a lifesaver. she will love it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:10 PM on May. 5, 2010

• It's not to young for CIO. It works
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:11 PM on May. 5, 2010

• She's crying for good reason, not for fun.
    Pick her up, feed her, change her, rock her, until she is happy and content again. You are Mom, and that's your job, on good days and bad days.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:11 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Hold/rock her until she is almost asleep, but not quite. Make sure she is swaddled and lay her in her crib. I always tucked in a small blanket I had been wearing under my shirt so my kids had my smell with them and turned on the ceiling fan. We also used a sound/motion activated "heartbeat" bear but a white noise machine would work as well. You can sing to her if that seems to help or use some type of music (we used a lullaby CD with my oldest). She may fuss, but it should only last for a few minutes. Mine didn't ever "scream" because they were already worn out by the time I laid them down. We did this from birth with my kids and they were all sleeping 8 plus hours by 2 months with very little fussing.

Answer by missanc at 3:14 PM on May. 5, 2010

• The baby's crying, clinging, and sucking are early techniques to keep her mother nearby. As the child grows and feels more secure in her relationship with her mother, she is better able to explore the world around her and to develop strong, healthy bonds with other important people in her life.

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on May. 5, 2010