What are the signs of being tongue tied?

my grandchild is having difficalty eatting baby food she will roll her tongue and try to spit it out not swollow it and her tongue is starting to look haert shaped

sky69

Asked by sky69 at 3:06 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lift her tonugue up, if there is skin attatched all the way to the tip...thats tongue tied.
    My sister had to have hers snipped when she was little.
    Anonymous

• The shape you mention is a good sign. If she tries to put her tongue out and can't, if you see the flap under her tongue really well...those are signs she probably is.

How old is she? Because the spitting out the food really isn't an indicator.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:09 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I would ask her ped. about it. Its really quick and easy for them too snip the webbing of the tongue
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 3:10 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Did she have problems nursing? Problems getting food down in the beginning isn't necessarily a determining factor, but if she has had problems latching on all of this time... I'd say if anyone has looked under her tongue they'd have known before now.

Our last child was born tongue tied beneath the tongue as well as on the top where that flap reaches your top lip. I was sure she would have to get snipped because babies in my family had before, but our pediatrician doesn't do that for infants. Turns out if just let be it is likely to go away on its own and they will only snip it early if the baby is having problems nursing. My daughter's fixed itself, top and bottom. :)
    Anonymous