My 2 1/2 yr. Old son bounces his head on his mattress to get to sleep at night. It is so loud I can hear him during the night. He is definitely not autistic and my Pediatrician doesn't seem to think it is a concern. I am wondering if this is common?

Awelch3

Asked by Awelch3 at 3:12 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how are you so sure he is not autistic?
    Anonymous

• if he's not doing any other signs of autisim, he's not autistic. my mom tried to tell me DS was autistic b/c he bounced his head from 8 months old. he'll be 5 in Oct adn he STILL does it. its how he calms himself down- he does it when he gets mad, but it started as him self-soothing to go to bed.

TRY to keep something under/behind his head. DS was about his age when he started banging/bouncing his head against the wall- he'd get some bruises on the back of his head from how hard he was hitting it, but it didnt really phase him, but at the very least, try to.. or move him to the couch, if possible.

my doctor told me that it was common among children. pm me if you want.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 3:44 PM on May. 5, 2010

• are you sure its his head and he's not kicking his feet or body? either way, my son has his own ways to put himself to sleep also - sometimes its rubbing his head from side to side, sometimes its talking, sometimes rolling all over kickign the wall- bedtime can be a long process some nights
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:45 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I think if your doctor has no concerns you needn't worry about it. My brother thumped his head on his pillow for many, many years growing up. He is not autistic--completely normal in every way--a really great guy, actually. He's 46 now. I say---don't trouble yourself worrying about it. He'll turn out just fine!! God bless!
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 1:01 AM on May. 6, 2010