What can i do to liven my green beans up?

I usually throw some on the stove out of the can & throw some kind of seasoning but they never taste good. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• boulion cube..idk if i spelled it right but thats what i use
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:15 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Saute minced garlic in olive oil and then ad a splash of soy sauce. I HATE green beans, but when I did this, I fell in love with them!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:15 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I know it sounds weird but in my family we always like a spoonful of bacon grease and it makes them taste like fresh green beans. A little bacon grease and cook them a good long time and the will taste better( with of course salt and pepper) I promise.
    Anonymous

• I cook mine with fresh onions and garlic and olive oil. Sautee the onions and garlic in the oil first and then add green beans and water...or you can use chicken broth instead. Add some salt.
    Or if you wanna get really fancy, you can do a green bean casserole. Add some cream of mushroom and milk to cooked beans, put some french fried onions on top and throw them in the oven.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:46 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I've never had canned; I use fresh or frozen. Heat some olive oil; lightly fry sliced garlic (don't let it burn); remove garlic, stir-fry beans, serve with a sprinkle of parmesan

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Because they're from a can! Nah, I just messing with you. We eat a lot of canned green beans, but rarely do we eat them plain - I mix them in with a hotdish or something, or I make green bean casserole. I only buy no sodium ones. In the summer now, we only eat fresh - the flavor is totally different! Try fresh, you'll never go back! (I refuse to even think about frozen, they're disgusting).
    Anonymous

• Bread them in sugar, fry them, dip em in chocolate sauce.

Just playing, thatd probably be gross. Like PP said abour bacon grease we do, but we just buy bacon bits and sprinkle em on. Its good.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:16 AM on May. 6, 2010

• A little bacon grease and cut up onion. Fry them together in the pan. Don't use the microwave.
    rcullens

Answer by rcullens at 10:45 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Steam or gently simmer the beans until they are barely tender. Heat some oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and ground coriander. Fry until the cumin turns reddish brown (doesn't take long!). Add one or two chopped jalepenos or other hot peppers. Add the beans and a can of water chestnuts. Salt to taste.

The first time I saw this recipe, I thought it sounded weird. When my 2 year old scarfed his down and demanded seconds, then stood by the stove after dinner begging for the leftover beans, I changed my mind, lol. This is a terrific side dish.

If you're using frozen beans, thaw them in several changes of COLD water and don't cook them. Simply add to the fried spices and warm through.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:12 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Steam green beans until they are tender but still bright green. Meanwhile, brown 4 tablespoons butter (swirl over med heat for about 1 minute after melted). Add 1/4 cup raw chopped almonds to the butter and cook for 30 seconds more to toast the almonds. Add juice from half of a lemon, and pour sauce over green beans.

I have never used canned beans for this recipe, but when I was a kid this was the only way I would eat green beans. It's really good.
    KArtz

Answer by KArtz at 12:42 PM on May. 6, 2010