SAHMs if you could have a career outside the home what would you do?

Let's face it, your kids will eventually leave the house. Do you ever think about getting a career?

I stayed home the first two years of my daughter's life, but by then I decided to go back to school and I'm currently working on my bachelor's. I'm pregnant with my second while going to school and I still plan on continuing if my husband and I can compromise it somehow. I was just wondering if you ever wish that you could have some sort of back-up career or atleast education for when that time comes when your kids finally go to school, you'll have something for yourself to do. (Not bashing. I support SAHMs and WMs just the same.)

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 3:13 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think its very important for mothers to not depend on there husbands. what if something happened to there husband? then what would they do?
    my mother currently pays my share of mine & my SO's bills. I just finished my associates degree, and was planning on continuing on my bachelors. before i had my son, i wanted to do social work - but you need a masters to make any money. so once i had my son, i decided on elementary ed, but here in NY teachers are getting laid off everywhere - and since were so broke, im going to take some time off school, im currently looking for a job - but having a really hard time. im hoping to land an atleast $15 an hr job, work for a year, and then either go back and finish my bachelors, or get my bachelors slowly while working. hopeing the economy picks up and i can become a teacher, but if not .. im going to be exploring other options while i take this time off.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and have at least 3 backup careers. I have my BA in History with my 9-12 teaching certificate so I could teach school or substitute. I have my AS in Biopharmaceuticals (so I could work in a lab testing drugs), and I've managed a restaurant when I was a single mom. I could fall back on any one of those things, but I plan to stay home at least until my kids are in college and possibly past then (my older kids will be way out of school by the time my last one finishes and I may have grandkids to help with).

Answer by missanc at 3:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I've been a homemaker for 25 years, and yes, I have often wondered what it would be like. I think if I had to do it again, I would definitely had gone to school, and I dreamed of doing something very different. Something where I could dress a little smarter, and didn't involve me "nurturing" anyone. Not that I don't love my job, but you know how the grass can be greener....I wanted a taste of both worlds. Best wishes to you!
    Anonymous

• I have my bachelors in Early Childhood Education. Before I had kids I taught PreK at a private school. We are planning on homeschooling so I won't have that time that my kids go to school, except maybe high school and then maybe college. But even if they ever do go to school I plan on staying home. Both my mom and my mil were sahms when dh and I were in school. We never had a sport event, choir concert, etc, that wasn't attended. I want to be able to do that for my kids as well. I have no desire to work outside of the home and dh rather I be home as well.
    Anonymous

• I personally just want something to put my name on for everyone to see. I hope to be a published writer someday. THat's a more independent career. It doesn't pay much unless I'm successful, but it'll be my own work. That's what I want. As a back-up plan, though, I hope to work with anything involving music history/appreciation combined with my writing talent. I want to be able to support myself and my family in case something happens to my husband where he can't work. For instance, he's been diagnosed with PTSD and just retired out of the Coast Guard and I often worry that his "mental disability" might make it difficult for him to get a job. That's another reason I am considering it. I want to be able to provide for my family should I have to step up.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I could have one outside the home if I wanted. I don't want to spend 3/4 of what I would make on daycare. We are not willing to do that. I graduated from college once already so I can work in offices from the front desk to accounting, nothing major but I could support me and my kids if something happened to my husband. I am taking college classes again to become a medical transcriptionist. As for what would I like to do, the answer is what I am doing. I have no interest in setting the world on fire. I am a simple person with simple plans.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:03 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have no desire to have a "career".

I would love to write some simple childrens stories or have a small online store selling herbs and candles,etc.

Thats what I would do and am hoping to accomplish part of it within the next 5 yrs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I am a medic already, so I can do that now, if necessary.
    I am also in college, so that will come later :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:59 AM on May. 6, 2010