2.5 and not napping? what about a "rest time" instead?

The least 2 weeks, my son has not wanted to nap. He will happily lie down to rest for about 30 minutes but he won't go to sleep, then he pops up and is ready to go! As a result he is going to bed earlier, then waking up earlier, and the schedule change is hard on us as his daddy works afternoon/evening shift so we can't just push his nap back later.

I know I dropped naps at 2 but my mom asked me to "rest quietly" in my room for an hour or two each day. I could play and look at books but I had to stay in my room, no snacks or TV or noisy toys. I now know this was as much for her sanity and so she could get some housework done as for my rest. LOL.

Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just tell him it is rest time. Take all toys out of his room and just leave a few books.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:23 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My son was around 2.5 when he started not having naps. Partially because it was a struggle to get him to go for one and partially because everyday that he had a nap, he'd be up until 10pm playing in his room instead of sleeping. Lol.

I would still give him quiet time at the same time his nap was. If he was tired and wanted to sleep then he could but I would wake him up after an hour. If he wanted to play or look at books that was fine too. As long as he was quiet and calm it was fine.

It was the only way I could get anything done around the house.
    Now he's 3 and I can do housework while he's up and puttering around the house and yard playing.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have zero advice - my son is FAR Too active to "sit quietly" and if I close the door and he's in his room he will just yell for me or come and get me anyway - lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My son stopped napping at 2 years old. He had quiet time at day care for about 30 minutes a day, but nothing more. Sometimes, they just need to sit quietly for 30-60 minutes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• We call it "quiet time" in my house.

My oldest still takes an hour or so for himself to listen to music, play with his toys,etc. My nearly 4 yr old is not really into napping much but we expect him to be quiet esp. since he shares a room with his 2 yr old brother.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:40 PM on May. 5, 2010