Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby confused!!!!

ok so my daughter spent 11 days at ACH in little rock when she was born. they gave her Emphmill Emphacare with lipil.... they gave us this chart telling us about the many different types of formula and how long they may need to stay on it and what they do. well the Emphacare lipil that she is on is for premature babies of course. and it says on the little chart that they should only need to be on it for about 2 months of their life because it has sertain things in it that help her gain weight...its 22 cal. now i called the wic office and asked them about changing her formula and they said no its ok for her to have it as long as she needs it... but the doc at childrens told me i need to get it switched at 2 months....does anyone know anything about this? i cant call childrens i dont know the doctors name and i dont have a pediatrician. im in the precess of getting a new one right now im using a family doc for the moment...

Answer Question

Asked by nattysmommie at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • can you have your dr write an rx to give to wic for different formula?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:20 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • yea but i need to get a new pediatrician first because my doctor doesnt really know what to do.

    Answer by nattysmommie at 3:23 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • your family dr can write the rx

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • oh, and the hospital should be able to pull your dd's records and tell you who the dr was

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • ok well then ill just have to get ahold of childrens and see whats up...i was just worried that they would need her doctors name first. i called up there once but they hung up on me after making me wait an hour or better. but my family doc wont do it because he doesnt deal with formula i have already spoken to him

    Answer by nattysmommie at 3:29 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • You have premie. You should really try BFing. It is much better for your baby than formula and you wouldn't need WIC to buy it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • I took a 3lb 2.8 oz premie home from the hospital (at 18 days and 4 lbs 0oz) and she was on 100% the Enfacare, 22 cal formula. Her Dr. was emphatic that she stay on it for 12 months. She gets WIC and they had me get a RX from her Dr for the special formula.
    Now, I am adopting her and I ended up breastfeeding for her and had her completely off the formula by 6 months old (it took me that long to bring in a full milk supply). But, if I had formula fed I'd have kept her on the Enfacare like the Dr said.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:26 PM on May. 5, 2010

  • ok well thanks for that advice that actually makes me feel better, the doc at childrens said that the formula should be changed but i guess these nurses are right this time lol.

    i cant breast feed. i had the same problem with my 3 year old who was born 5 weeks early. i was only able to pump for a weeks. she was there for two weeks. and i tried to breast feed for evey this time but she was in childrens for 11 days and i couldnt get her to latch on there or at home. the pump wasnt helping at all either. i got a pump from the health department and its just as good as the one i was using at childrens and i couldnt get anymore then 10 ccs out of both breasts at a time. and this was every 3 hours like they told me to do. so when i got home and it didnt change they put me on reglan for milk production and it didnt make it any i cant pump or breast feed. but i will definately be keeping her on this formula.

    Answer by nattysmommie at 1:39 PM on May. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.