A head harness or a shoulder strap harness?

Hi, I'm a mom of a 7month old Siberian Husky.

As she's getting bigger and bigger everyday, it's almost impossible for me take her for a walk all nicely since she's pulling me so hard.

She's currently in a puppy class, but when it comes to pulling, it really didn't help that much.

So I'm thinking to get a harness.
But I noticed that there are two kinds of harness, and don't know which one to choose.

There's a head harness, and also the regular harness that wraps around her legs and shoulder.
I don't know what's the different between them and
which one is better.

Please advice me on the which harness to get and why.

Thank you very much!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Pets

• http://www.softouchconcepts.com/
    This is one of the best training aids that I have found. I have a Boxer (known pullers) and from the first day I started using it (he was young) it has made a world of difference.
    Huskies are obviously made to run and pull and are very strong, and this harness makes it near impossible for them to brace against the pressure, so it makes it SOOOO much easier to control them and have an enjoyable walk without hurting them our yourself.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Harnesses actually encourage pulling. that is one reason they use them in dog sledding. I prefer the Gentle leader head halter.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• yeah the head collars are better b/c it deters pulling
    Anonymous

• Head collars do deter dogs from pulling sometimes, but they also can cause neck injuries on dogs that do not immediately learn to cooperate, and can become a "crutch" rather than just being a temporary tool.
    Traditional back clip harnesses do encourage pulling because it just gives them a greater area to brace against, but a front chest clipping harness does not. If you check the link it explains exactly how it works and the concept behind how it was developed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I use a shoulder harness and a short leash. If you keep them on a short leash so that they have to walk next to you, then they can't pull you. It gives you better control.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:59 AM on May. 6, 2010