feeding 8 week old rice cereal??

baby has severe reflux and is on scheduled measured feedings. no more the 3oz and or 3 hours at a time. I feel like he is starving and so does he. yesterday dr said i can give him 1 TBSP rice cereal at feedings to help feel him up. is this really ok? he seems to young and all he has ever had is breast milk. what should i do?? sorry for spelling errors NAK

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd be finding a new ped ASAP
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:12 PM on May. 5, 2010

• It is a common remedy for reflux. just mix it in your breastmilk in a bottle. Make sure its very thin.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:12 PM on May. 5, 2010

• my baby has reflux and his ped said feed on demand and put rice cereal in his bottle to help with the reflux but not to fill him up
    Anonymous

• I've heard of it. A lot of moms do it. And there are a lot of moms that disagree with it. Do what you feel is appropriate.
    I don't think there is one right answer when it comes to giving rice cereal. It is very controversial.
    I did not give my own children rice cereal that young but if the doctor told me to, I would have. I trust my childrens pediatrician.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:15 PM on May. 5, 2010

• it is common

but nurse the poor child or feed him a bottle!!! you are starving him!

there are other things to help with reflux without restricting his formula or breast!!!
    Anonymous

• I'd get a new pedi. My baby had severe reflux after getting RSV at 5 weeks old. She is EBF and her pedi agree BM is the best diet for her. He put her on prescription Prevacid disolve tabs (1 daily) and she did great! She's now 4.5 months old and still never had anything to eat besides breast milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:23 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Oh, forgot to say that I never stopped feeding on demand.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Scheduling breastfeeding is a recipe for failure to thrive. "Reflux" in a breastfed baby is often actually a reaction to overactive letdown or to something you're eating.

Even if you're feeding pumped milk...doc is steering you toward the graveyard. FIRE HIM. I have the number of a good witch doctor if you want.

Please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We can help you with this...we've seen worse!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• For an EBF baby, not a good idea. There are other, better ways of treating reflux than opening his tummy up to the potential for more tummy problems. On top of that, BM sort of digests cereal so it doesn't work the way it would if mixed with formula. Plus, some babies (like mine) get constipated by it. Look into joining one of the breastfeeding groups on here- they can help you out without the rice cereal. Also check out http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:39 PM on May. 5, 2010

• It's a common suggestion for reflux, but I believe that new studies show that it's not as effective as once thought. Is your child on reflux medication? DS had pretty bad reflux, and with the medication, I was able to EBF him until we introduced solid veggies around 8 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:44 PM on May. 5, 2010