I am looking to adopt a newborn but find the fees are really high

I am looking to adopt a newborn but find the fees are really high. I want to adopt a african american or bi-racial. Do anyone knows where I can that it does not cost a arm and a leg. I live in Florida but if there is a good place outside of Florida I will sure call but I rather stay in Florida. Can any one help?

aom6134

Asked by aom6134 at 4:20 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Adoption

• unfortuantely, adoption is expensive no matter where you go.+
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:25 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Good Luck!!! We've been hoping that would be a reality for several years, but no matter "where" you go...it's VERY expensive. We would also LOVE to adopt and infant.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 4:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• google adoption grants. You would be surprised at the financial aid available for adoptions. Good luck!! I am living proof that adoption can make a HUGE difference in a child's life.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:29 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Have you seen any of the websites out there for available situations, with fees listed, and noticed children of color are discounted in price compared to white infants?
    Ugh!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above anon that it's sad that fees are lower for certain "hard to place" children.

OP, if you're willing to cross state lines and work with interstate compact (your lawyer will know how to do this), you could check into St. Elizabeth Foundation in Louisiana. I think they're in Baton Rouge. They specialize in "hard to place" placements. I think the fee is around $10,000, although it's been almost six years since I've been in communication with them. You could also check Catholic Charities. We used them both times (two different dioceses, which is why the fees were different). The first time it cost $5,000 and the second time it cost $10,000. Both children were prenatally drug-exposed and born to women who are good people, but who are also addicts. They were truly in need of a home, and we have open adoptions. You can PM me if you want, and I'll respond as quickly as I can (after finals next week).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:44 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Thanks so Much for your input. I do know that fees are different with child of a different race and that is so unfair to the many families out there that wants to adopt. Adoption is very expensive. Not everyone can afford the fees. Even grant who ever gets them are helpful but not everyone is approved for them. I will look up any places that everyone suggests to me. I really appreciate this help.
    aom6134

Answer by aom6134 at 5:59 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You can also start saving money now, if you haven't already. It took us about four years from the time we started seriously looking into adoption until our first child was born, so we had saved all of the money and then some. We were officially on the "list" for two years. If you cut out unnecessary expenses (for us that was clothes, furniture, vacations, and such), you'd be surprised how much you can save. If you're not both working (if there are two of you, that is), now is the time. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2010

• www.adoptuskids.org   These children are available for adoption through social services.  There are often black infants available.  Adoption through social services is the least expensive way to adopt.  Dave Thomas Foundation has links to all sorts of resources to aid in financial costs as well as reputable agencies.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:28 AM on May. 6, 2010

• There is always fostering to adopt. We are living proof that infants can come and stay. And the cost is $0. There are stresses involved, but domestic adoption can also be a bumpy ride. The waiting and wondering if BM will change her mind...If you want to know more PM me or contact your department of family services. You can go to an orientation and ask questions. :)

Best Wishes!!
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 6:06 PM on May. 6, 2010

• Fost/adopt is free! We were able to bring a newborn home from the hospital (she was a "safe surrender" baby)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:17 PM on May. 6, 2010