When do kids learn to blow their noses/clear their throats/cough?

And is there a way to teach them?

My daughter is almost two and she's miserable because she has a little bit of a cold. She's in bed crying because she's tired and wants to go to sleep, but laying down makes the mucus drain down her throat and it makes breathing hard. She coughs and sputters and cries and I don't know how to help her :( I've tried getting her to blow her nose, but she just sniffs, and she will only cough if it's a reflex, she won't do it to clear her lungs and make herself more comfortable.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:26 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Honestly, up until my daughter was almost 3, I had to help her with the nasal congestion...she just didn't "get" how to blow her nose. I kept a nasal bulb nearby and suctioned it all out as often as possible. She learned that coughing can help clear her throat at about the age of 2...so hopefully you'll be getting a small bit of relief soon, when she learns that. In the meantime, try to get her to sleep at a slight angle...that may help make her more comfy while she has her cold. Hope she's feeling better soon!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:33 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Hi! My Son is 3 & I agree with mainemusic, he is only Just getting the whole nose blowing thing now. I just would elevate his head before when he was stuffed because he just would keep waking up. I would raise his head up on a pillow after he fell asleep or I would take a quilt and double it over at one end and lay it in the crib so it would raise his head a bit. He would breath better if his head was elevated. Hope she feels better soon!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:14 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I agree, around three for blowing the nose and raise his head when he lays down.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:11 AM on May. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and has a hard time blowing her nose.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:52 AM on May. 7, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months and she loves to blow her nose, she come and lets me no if there is a "boo" up in her nose, i will give her tissue and she blows her nose.. she is so proud of herself when so does that! :)
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 1:21 PM on May. 7, 2010

• my son is 3 and he learned how to blow his nose when he was 2, and my daughter is 1 and she knows how to blow her nose because Caleb taught her. LOL
    NSeni

Answer by NSeni at 9:07 AM on May. 8, 2010