signs to potty train....

my dd is 15 months and will walk up to me or her dad and pat herbutt and say poo poo.... sure enough she has poop in her diaper. she alwas tries ripping her diaper off of her self whether its dirty or not. she copies us on the potty and ive set her on it a few times a couple months ago and shes pooped on it twice and peed a handful of times but then she kinda stopped having interest in it. is this her way of saying shes ready to potty train?

if not what ARE the signs?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:50 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest started doing that at 16 months. He was potty trained at home by 19/20 months and in underwear accident free full time at 22 months.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2010

• That is one of the signs when she shows being uncomfortable in a dirty diaper. Another is can she pull he pants up by herself? Does she stay dry for several hours at a time? After naptime? When she is really ready, it should take a long weekend to train. She may still need diapers for nap and bedtime for several months yet but daytime dryness comes first. 15 months is not to young to train if the child is ready.Good luck with your big gir;/
    carolhas2kids

Answer by carolhas2kids at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2010

• She doesn't have to be capable of pulling pants on or off by herself as long as you are willing to help her with that. My daughters both trained long before they could be independent on the potty... I figure you'd be helping her by changing her diaper anyway. I think she sounds ready to begin learning. Some kids train in a long weekend, but sometimes when they're a bit younger it takes a little more working with them... to me, that's not a reason to wait. I would rather spend a few months helping a younger one who has shown interest and is capable of training than to wait until age 3 to have it happen overnight. My second daughter just turned 20 months and we started working with her at 17 months. At first we would just pull her diaper down and have her sit on the potty about 10 minutes after meals, before naps, etc. Once we started getting lots of hits, we got rid of the diapers. She does great, but with our help.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:07 AM on May. 6, 2010