Why am I the bad guy?

I just think that parents should be more attentive to their children, but if I say that I;m the bad guy? No, I don't think you should "be on top of them". But if you let your child ride a bike, do it in a safe place, not in the middle of the road. And with all the kidnappings happening, my child dosen't get out of arm's reach of me when we're out somewhere. Even in my front yard, I make sure I can see her at all times, as she sure as heck isn't allowed anywhere near the road. That being said, how am I the bad guy for suggesting that other parents do something simmilar? I never said their parenting was wrong, I just think that less abductions or kids being hit by cars would happen if the parents would watch more closley.

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 4:51 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. I guess its not "cool" to be concerned with your child's health and safety anymore. I always make sure my 9 month old can't hurt himself on anything in the house and that there's nothing dangerous he can get in to. But my friend has a 1 year old and let's him roam free through a non-baby proofed house and she pays no attention to what he does. She's caught him just in the nick of time on several occasions before something really bad could have happened. But then she tells ME to quit being so over protective and paranoid? Um no sorry.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• "my child dosen't get out of arm's reach of me when we're out somewhere"

I agree with you.... BUT it happens every day even when the child IS within arms reach.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i agree. I would never let my kid ride his bike in the street alone even if they had flashing lights like they did with school zones and a crossing guard out there. Oh well...to each their own.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• If you're talking about that comment in the other question, you first sounded like you were saying that the guy who was speeding was not at fault or less at fault because the parent wasn't 5 inches from their child. No child should be allowed to ride in the street but that does not let him off the hook. He was speeding down a street in a neighborhood where children could live for all he knew and any idiot knows eventually one day a kid could come running out in the street, not thinking or just being a kid chasing a ball or whatever. That is exactly why speed limits are 25 or 30 in residential places.
    Anonymous

• "Eyewitnesses at the scene stated that a black male in a tan vehicle drove down the road, moved into the left lane, injured a mother and killed her two children by hitting into them, and then fled the scene after stopping briefly to look around."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2881666/2_children_are_dead_cobb_county_police.html?cat=8

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:57 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i never said he wasn't at fault i just wanted to know why a 5 year old was in the street
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2010

• The flashing warning lights were on, police said, and a car was stopped behind it.

Edith M. Anderson of Roswell saw the stopped bus along with the car, Cobb police spokesman Joe Hernandez said.

But, instead of hitting the brake pedal, accident investigators say she placed her foot on the gas pedal, sending her 1995 Nissan Altima zooming forward.

"It set her into a ‘panic mode,'" Hernandez told the AJC on Thursday. And, in an attempt to not hit the car that was directly in front of her, Anderson swerved to the right.

That's when she lost control of the car and hit 5-year-old Karla Campos as she stepped off the bus.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/police-blame-driver-error-234840.html

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:59 PM on May. 5, 2010

• A witness stated that the mother was in a hurry to get across the street in order not to anger someone who was waiting for her to arrive somewhere.

that was in the article, like op says the driver is at fault yes but why are the parents not watching?
    Anonymous

• veronica..that has nothing to do with kids playing in the streets alone.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:00 PM on May. 5, 2010

• OMG! I never said that the driver wasn't at fault. what I said was "I just think that less abductions or kids being hit by cars would happen if the parents would watch more closley." and maybe i should have put more emphasis on the word LESS not saying all of the things like that could have been prevented, but maybe LESS of it would happen b/c SOME not all parents don't keep a good eye on their kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:07 PM on May. 5, 2010