Getting married in a church

I am catholic, well was only bapitised catholic, and Catholic churches are what I attend. My fiance however isn't anything and isn't interested in becoming catholic. He has his reasons....But my question is in a Catholic church, to get married do oth parites need to be Catholic? I want a small wedding & neither of us is interested in pursueing anything religious to be wedded in the church. My parents would like us to be married in a church, and I also would like to walk down a long isle with my father in church...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, but it depends on the church. Some will be more flexible than others, but generally, the non-Catholic person has to become Catholic and also attend some classes. That is what people in my family have had to do, but, my Dad didn't even though he is not Catholic b/c he knew a priest and the priest bent the rules for him.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:39 PM on May. 5, 2010

• A non-Catholic CAN marry in a Catholic church, and DOES NOT need to become Catholic. Go talk to your priest.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You might have a hard time finding a catholic church willing to marry you but it's not impossible. Another option might be going to a different church like episcopalian, similar beliefs but less strict about the rules. You could also have a civil ceremony and then have a blessing ceremony in a church, a priest might be more likely to be OK with that.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:49 PM on May. 5, 2010