Money savers....

My husband and I are working hard right now to get out of debt. To add to that, we are also facing higher prices at the pump and the grocery store. Because of that we've been doing things to try to shave down our budget. I thought it might be nice, since many of us are feeling the effects of a recession, to share some money saving ideas with each other. Please comment and give me any ideas that have worked for your family.

Asked by queen_tut at 12:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Lol I think I've posted this at least 3 times since this section opened but I suggest joining the forums at

Those guys (and girls) have helped me tremendously

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Determine between WANTS and NEEDS. You can cut your budget by hundreds a month by asking yourself do I need it? or do I want it?

Answer by vbruno at 12:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Make a list and stick to it when shopping. I only take cash and keep a tally of my purchases and when I've reached the amount of cash I have with me, I'm finished. It avoids impulse buying on stuff I really didn't need anyway.

I also used to be really bad about leftover in the fridge getting thrown out. Since the price of groceries has gone way up, I make a real effort to either re-use or freeze any leftover's to avoid them being trashed.

I only shop once a week, which also saves on the gas!

Answer by Sue41 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I print out online coupons. I try to shop for items that are on sale. I buy a lot of my daughter's clothes at mom to mom sales. When I potty train my daughter, which will be any day now, I will use cloth training pants instead of Pull Ups.

Answer by lovinmystar at 4:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I;ve given up a lot of wants... I'm not buying name brand things at the grocery store anymore... I don't buy anything I DID NOT go for... and I've learned that not going to the movies every time a new movie i want to see comes out is cheaper if i just wait to rent it

Answer by bubblycute at 6:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2008