what was the easiest way for you to start being healthy?

i just don't know where to start. i feel so depressed and i really want to start living a healthy life style. I really feel like this is the reason for my depression. I've tried eating healthier but i never succeed. I've tried walking but i never stick to it. what did you do to START and stick to it? How did you stay on track?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Health

• get rid of everything in the house that's not healthy ( granola bars, fruit snacks, chips, pop, ice cream *sob*, candy, chocolate, alcohol)

get rid of all the convenience foods - frozen dinners, stuff you toss in microwave or oven, boxed dinners (hamburger helper ick). by getting rid of the "easy food" you now have to actually pay attention and MAKE your meals.

fill your fridge with good wholesome food like fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, fish....

get some magazines or sign up for food websites - the pictures can be inspiring! all the colour!

plan your meals to be a rainbow of color! if its white - don't eat it.

drink LOTS of water.
    Anonymous

• believe me, i've done this. Then i've gotten a craving and went straight to the grocery store. I have no dicipline!
    Anonymous

• Do you have anyone that will do it with you?? A family member?? a friend ?? motivate eachother!! plan walks together, go online and find healthy meal ideas and share them make new and different things to keep it exciting. make a shopping list and stick to it. no extras! this will save you money to!! good luck I know how hard it is!! but you can do it!
    tyanneS

Answer by tyanneS at 5:39 PM on May. 5, 2010

• start small
    drink 1/2 your bodyweight in oz of water each day
    be sure to get 5 veggies a day
    be sure to get 2-3 fruits a day
    substitute brown carbs for white carbs
    walk or exercise 3 days a week to start
    start cutting the junk, and really read your ingredients! be sure you know what they are, use wikipedia.
    you could do one of these each week.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I signed up for Beachbody to get healthy and was so impressed I became a Coach! They teach you lifestyle changes, for long term results and there is a ton of support and motivation.

You need to combine nutrition and exercise for optimal results.

Take baby steps - start & end each day and each meal with a glass of water. if you are not a water drinker, start with a 4 oz glass.

Bake, broil and grill meat
    Use canola or olive oil for cooking
    Use spices/herbs rather than butter & sauce to flavor foods

More meat, veggies, fruit ,.... less carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes)

Exercise - workout video, dance, walk, tennis ... anything! for at least 1/2 hr at a time!

Workout buddies are GREAT !

You can get more tips, virtual workout buddies, chats and more at my website or PM me.
    www.beachbodycoach.com/teamjacobs

GOOD LUCK!

TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 6:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Start with simple changes.
    Stop buying junk foods.
    Drink more water; work your way up to 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Get moving! Start with a brisk walk, at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 days a week.
    Serve and eat more fruits and vegetables; work your way up to 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors.
    Replace your white/simple grains with whole grains; work your way up to 5 servings a day.
    Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and dairy; eat/serve at least two servings of legumes a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on May. 5, 2010

• If you smoke..........Quit. If you drink.......Quit Smoking zaps your energy and Alcohol stimulates the production of ( cortisol) hormones that cause weight gain. Stay clear of processed foods, since they usually contain heavy oils (palm, coconut ) and sugars that are not easily processed by the body. Dummyproof your refridgerator and pantry by having healthy options, that you really do like. If you have a taste for something, then by all means have it and don't try to eat around the craving or you will overeat only to go on and have what you were craving in the first place. Get up and get busy......... activity, even if you are limited is a must. You may need to force yourself at first, but as you see the changes, it will motivate you.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:45 AM on May. 26, 2010