Angel Food Ministries?

I was wondering if anyone could offer a review on the quality of the food? Some of it looks a little processed and not as healthy as I like to normally eat...but they're veggie boxes & the meat boxes are very well priced. I don't mind doctoring something up a bit...I'm mostly just concerned about the nutritional value of the meals & quality of the food. I'm not a major health nut...I just generally try to stay on the healthier side if I can. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my friend gets Angel Food, and they seem to really like it and have no problem with it. and yes, it is very well-priced food
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 5:51 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I tried it for a few months but we don't eat like a typical family. I try to avoid MSG in our food and I found it in quite a few of the things in the boxes. We also are used to eating grass fed beef and our own poultry and I found the steaks to be quite tough and tasteless compared to what we are used to. We also rarely eat pork, so that's just more food we don't enjoy. We also don't care for the frozen dinners -- just our preference for less sodium and additives. The frozen veggies were good and we got a tangerine basket a couple of years ago and they were good. I have no complaints about the the fresh produce.

Seriously, when I took all of the above into account, I can do better with that money than spend it on AF boxes. I'm a savvy shopper and know where the bargains are. I'm not knocking the program, because I think it is a good thing for the average family, just not for ours.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:01 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have yet to try it myself - every time I remember and go to the website I've missed the month's order by 2-3 days. I have a couple of friends who order every month who are happy - one has a child who can't have gluten and she loves their gluten-free box (mainly meat options, instead of chicken nuggets & other breaded stuff), and another said the fruit & veggie boxes are really good. We buy most of our meat straight from 1 or 2 local farmers, I'd have a hard time with that, and I really have to watch my sodium intake (and watch it & sugar for my kids) so I hee-haw about the regular stuff...I guess really for me it depends on the monthly menu - it changes every month so that'll make a difference.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided about using it. I don't like breaded/fried stuff on a regular basis so I think I'll wait and see what next month's menu is. Maybe I'll try the fruits & veggies in the winter but during the spring & summer I really enjoy going to the local farmers market.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Some months are better than others as far as what you get. The meat quality is okay. Not the best cuts or anything but all in all not to bad. NOt a huge fan of the frozen foods but not bad. The fruits and veggie boxes are great.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on May. 6, 2010

• WOW! How about beggers can't be choosers!?!? I mean if you need food assistance then there ya go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Dear Anonymous 10:55. Not that it is any of your business....I do not NEED assistance. I am not on WIC, Welfare or any other program ( not that there is anything wrong with that). However, I ENJOY finding ways to save money, live frugally etc. Angel Food Ministries is not just for "beggars"...it's for anyone and everyone. Try doing some research before replying with such ignorance. I was simply asking about the quality and nutritional value of the food. While I do enjoy saving money I'm not willing to load my children up on fried, fattening or highly processed foods to do so. Good grief! Some people are so miserable!
    Anonymous

• If your primary concern is food quality and you do not need assistance then I don't think it would make an ounce of sense to try it.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 3:46 PM on May. 7, 2010

• Suzy_Sunshine....I'm more concerned about the nutrition. If the cuts of meat aren't great...that's ok with me. I don't mind doctoring them up. I guess a better way of wording my question would be "Do you feel like your family gets well rounded, nutritional meals through the packages that the Angel Food Ministries offers?" By "quality" I guess I just meant to ask if the foods were super processed or greasy...that sort of thing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 8, 2010