Anxiety! Please help me!

Ive suffered from anxiety most of my life. When I found out I was pregnant I stopped taking Zanex. Now my son is 3 months old and I am suffering constantly with even worse anxiety. I went to see my Dr. and she said that she couldnt put me on anything because its "not safe" for nursing.

I called loving support and they told me that Ativan is usually safe to take while nursing. Have any of you ladies taken anxiety meds while nursing??? How did it affect the baby?? Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 5:55 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From the National Institutes Of Health's Lact-Med database, THE definitive resource on meds and mother's milk:

"Lorazepam has low levels in breastmilk, a short half-life relative to many other benzodiazepines, and is administered directly to infants. Lorazepam would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants with usual maternal dosages. No special precautions are required."

It's given to babies. You may take it without one single second of worry.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:59 PM on May. 5, 2010

• BTW...doc is generally the LAST person you can ever ask about meds and mother's milk. They go by the Physician's Desk Reference, which only uses manufacturer recommendations...and manufacturers say NO to everything for nursing or pregnant moms. My prenatals were even labeled with a warning that they weren't for pregnant women!

All that med school...and pretty much NO training on lactation.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:01 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I took welbutrin the whole pregnancy and even now that Im breastfeeding and have noticed no side affects. I agree you need to at least get a second opinion. Anxiety is not fun, I felt like I was goin crazy. Also if your not sleeping well, it can make your anxiety worse.
    Anonymous

• gdiamante is 100% right. Plus it is probably better for your baby to have a mom whose anxiety is under control, and even with minute amounts of the drug, still better than formula feeding (the benefits will outweigh the risks, kind of like how it is best for a mom who smokes to bfeed)
    What about an antidepressant like Zoloft? I was given that for panic attacks and it worked really well (although I think it takes a while for it to take full effect). Zoloft is the best antidepressant to be on when breastfeeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:30 PM on May. 5, 2010

• After having my son I had SEVERE anxiety, I would just lay down and cry because I felt like I was dying. I bf my son until he was 7 months, they had me on Paxil and said it was safe to take while BF.... I noticed nothing different in my son... It does suck to get off of tho, I would get lil "shocks" in my brain, but Since Jan I have been off of it and back to normal. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:34 PM on May. 5, 2010

• try to take high doses of magnesium...it is a natural way to get rid of anxiety...i started using it because i was having SEVERE HORRIFYING nightmares and now they are completely gone!!! and my stress level has turned down about 100 notches!!
    Anonymous

• I was on Zoloft which is completely safe during breast feeding. I would go see a different Dr too! There are deffinately Meds you can take safely.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:45 AM on May. 6, 2010