How to get the husband to understand??

So my husband is incredibly sweet especially when it comes to holidays. He spoils me and it is wonderful….but, I have a problem…I don’t want to seem ungrateful but, I my dd is 3 and ALL I want for mother’s day is for DH to have my dd MAKE something for me (a card or something) that I can keep forever. I DO NOT want a present I want to carry on the tradition from my family…my dad would get up early make my mom breakfast and have us kids MAKE my mom something…without being ungrateful how can I get my DH to understand that this is something that is VERY important to me (what my dad did was the ONLY thing he EVER did right lol and that’s why it is important to me..) But I am concerned that he is going to get upset because he is going to think that I am trying to control the situation or something and I have tried dropping hints but, I have tried that with other holidays and he doesn’t seem to get it..help?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 6:15 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• just tell him to do that ! sheesh !! he;s ure husband not some hot neighbor that u get tongue-tied around him
    Anonymous

• Why don't you request that he get you something SMALL, and that you would love it if he and your daughter made something together to give to you. Suggest he go to a craft store together and pick up a keepsake project--like plaster casts of hands/feet, a "mom" mosaic, personalized stepping stone, beaded jewelry/pin. bracelet, etc., the first page or two from a new scrapbook (for you to keep adding to), a personalized mug, mouse pad, calendar, etc., that contains a favorite picture of your daughter (most larger photo finishing places have a number of items you can personalize and relatively inexpensively) or something along those lines.

Tell him as your daughter is getting older, you are starting to become nostalgic, and want to remember her when she was little, years from now.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• anon....18 ur rude!!!... and OP that is not being ungrateful that shows your heart. that is very sweet that you want your little one to make you something....i cherish the things my kids make me...i almost cried over my first macaroni necklace..lol....just let them know how you feel and that your father would do that and you think it would be nice to carry on the tradition...nothing wrong with that at all....hope ur mommies day is a good one!!!
    Anonymous

• That is what I want as well. I have dropped hints but I don't think mine gets it either. Last year I wanted a mothers bracelet that would have cost less than 30 buck, instead he rebuilt my comp which was closer to 300. So I vote that we just tell them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:44 PM on May. 5, 2010

• see the problem is that i told him something similar around my birthday...I had a bunch of best buy gift cards so i asked if he would cover the rest for me to buy a laptop and i was so excited to pick out my laptop but, instead he went and just picked one out and bought it...and his heart was in the right place..it was so nice that he did that but, we talked about it and he said he would cover the rest and that  he would take my to the store so i could pick it out... that is why i am concernedthat no matter what i say he is not going to listen.....ya know? so i am trying to think of a different approach

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 6:51 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Dropping hints tends NOT to work....unless they are hints the size of boulders with "DO THIS" painted on them! I've found that if I want something, I have to spell it out. My husband does NOT like "hints" because he gets them wrong; he wants me to tell him straight up.

That means I never get surprised by anything...but I hate surprises anyway so it's no big deal to me.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:45 PM on May. 5, 2010