What should I tell him?

My FIL wants to know what my husband wants for his birthday. He wanted to get him a scope for his rifle, but my husband won't use it (he hasn't even seen his rifle in 7 months, it's in the top of our closet) and I asked him what he wanted... we discussed it and essentially, we both, for our birthdays, anniversary, Christmas, etc, just want money. That sounds horrible, but the best gift anyone could give us, instead of spending money for STUFF is to just send the cash to help keep us afloat, as our income barely covers all our expenses, and won't help us pay off our debt.

I don't want my FIL to send more than he was willing to spend on STUFF, but I also don't want to be hounded about what my husband spends the money on either!

What to do?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 6:19 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Request gift cards to the stores you NEED things from regularly--instead of just cash...such as department stores, grocery stores, service stations/gas cards, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:23 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I really like the suggestion above. That way he can pick out what he wants or can use it for stuff you need.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't know how to say it, but it is awful to ask for money because you can't pay your bills. If he has a rifle he isn't using, sell it so you can pay a bill.
    Anonymous

• Anon, the rifle isn't gonna net enough to pay a bill with. It's medical debt that has just swamped us, plus having to move, plus renting out our house to scumbags who abandoned it and left it a mess and stole stuff and wrecked the plumbing. Thank you for the suggestion, though. I had thought of it, but really, it's not gonna bring much lol.

Good idea, LoriKeet :) Thanks.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:31 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Most people do not have assets that bring a good resale. In this economy pressboard immitations from walmart are competition for fine furniture since most people do not know or care about the difference and simply want to fill a hole for x dollars. Any one who has ever been in that situation can tell you that the only thing you accomplish is being without, since people do not want to pay more than pennies on the dollar for an item.

Most people have a false sense of what their personal property is worth.  It's not like real estate at all  and even with real estate, most people are not pleasantly surprised.

GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 6:10 PM on May. 7, 2010