Beagles?

I've been offered a full blooded Beagle that is the daughter of the neighbor's dog (she's 14 mos old now) because the person who's had her can't keep her. She's potty trained and great with the kids so far, but I'm not sure. All the Beagles I've known bark a lot, but she said that this one only barks when she sees other dogs (we don't have any). Have you had a good experience with a Beagle? Any insight appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I work with dogs at a boarding kennel and I have to say, 90% of the Beagles are little jerks. They bark a lot and they tend to be really food aggressive. I think its more than possible to prevent the dog from being that way, we just seem to have lazy Beagle owners or ones that think its adorable when little Chester attacks your hand at feeding time.
    Anonymous

• They like to dig. I loved my Beagle I had when I was little : )
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:32 PM on May. 5, 2010

• beagle's bark a lot. i work at a grooming salon - they are very good dogs if trained, but the barking comes with the breed.... if she hasn't started the constant barking, she may start as she gets older.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 6:38 PM on May. 5, 2010

• my MIL has two. They are nasty! They have horrible anal leakage and she has to take them every month to be squeezed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:39 PM on May. 5, 2010

• The only beagle I have ever know attacked my 3 year old son (completely unprovoked) He had to have 4 stitches right by his eye and 3 in his lip.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• and yes, the neighbors have called the cops on my inlaws because of the barking
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• i am so sorry to hear that laci..my mil's one is very overprotective of my MIL too. He does not like my son to give my MIL hugs. The other dog is actually good. I have already told my dh that if we have a baby i will not trush those dogs around it at all!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My DH has a few he uses to hunt. They are all wonderful with my boys! They do bark, but usually at people walking passed the house, our neighbors cats they allow to run all over and at me when they are hungry! Lol Honestly, we haven't had any bad experiences with them. And even though they are "working" dogs they do interact with the family often.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:42 PM on May. 5, 2010

• My sister has a beagle. He is a love! But also high maintenance. Always at the vet with something. They get overweight easily. They are hyper and needs LOTS of exercise, outdoor fun, and they love to bark or bay at everything. He is incredibly happy, but you really need the time and energy to put into them.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:43 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Like most on here have said, they are high energy, high maintainence. If you don't have the time to walk several times a day, then do expect the dog to learn other not so good behaviours to keeping their little minds busy, digging and running away are 2 of those habits. Beagles are a scent hound and being such, once they put their nose to the ground and pick up an interesting scent they are not very likely to stop running it down till they find it. I personally have not known any to be food agressive, or bad with children. However with all dogs if not trained properly anything can and will happen. They do shed alot throughout the entire year, so if your fussy about dog hair around the house and on everything, maybe not a breed for you. If you do decide to try the dog, you might want to look into either getting a furminator tool or seeing if a grooming shop near you offers it as part of their service.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 10:01 PM on May. 5, 2010