How do I get my dd to stop using a pacifier?

She's almost 4 now and she still cries her guts out every time I get her pacifier away. She a very smart kid, she started making whole sentenses when she was only 12 months old and she could walk and run by the time she was 9 months. She's very active and verbal, but she won't give up the pacifier. She wants it in her mouth even while she's talking. What do I do?
I've been trying to get her to give it up for 6 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She maybe cried for it twice, but nothing major, she asked for it a few times, but we said we sent it to the baby and she was fine with it. I was so worried for just about nothing. And yes, I know I will get bashed for my kid having a binkie that late, but you know what? All kids have something, whether they have a blankie, won't sleep through the night, had a bottle too long, won't eat veggies, talk late, walk late, all kids have some challenge, its not the end of the world as some may suggest. And telling you to throw it away and deal with it just is not helpful. You (both) can do this!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:26 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Take it away and explain that she's a big girl now. If they aren't in the house, she can't get you to give in. The tamtrums will only last a couple of days and she will move on.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:17 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I would cut a hole in the tip and it will no longer work for suction. Then tell her they are all broken and there are no more in the house. Make sure you get them all though, or she will just find another. I agree it will be hard for a couple of days, but she will get over it. The most important thing is do NOT give in and give her a new one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:19 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You are the parent- not her. Simply throw them away. Be a grown up, deal with the tantrum.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Ok, here's what I did...my dd also loved her 'binkie'.... when she was 3, I started a rule that she could ONLY have it at bedtime...if she cried for it during the day, I told her she had to go sit on her bed if she wanted it....she rarely bothered with that, and when she did, it lasted a minute or two...then I told her that being 4 meant she was a big girl and big girls don't use binkies anymore (she was totally psyched to be 4 so I ran with it), I told her that on the morning of her 4th birthday we were going to mail her binkie to my friend's infant at the time that she knew because he needed it and again, binkies are for babies.... let me tell you, I was more terrified of her reaction than she was of losing the binkie....I lost sleep over this, lol.... so her birthday came, we 'shipped off' the binkie and that was that. Seriously. Cont....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• And just to add, we had only one binkie at the end, definitely make sure that you start to weed the house of them....cause once you make the move it would be awful for her to find one...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:28 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Me again, lol, I will also say that setting the 'no more binkie' date and giving her some time to prepare for it and constantly reminding her that it was coming up and talking about it very positively was very helpful for us, I could not have just taken it cold turkey.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:31 PM on May. 5, 2010