my son will not eat real food!

My son turned 1 today, we've been trying for the past month to get him to eat real food. Ive tried several of the graduate meals, peices of our food, kraft mac & cheese, etc. He will (sometimes) start off eating it really good, but then a few bites in he starts spitting it out & refusing to eat any more of it. I know hes not eating enough to get hungry, so i offer a jar of baby food & he will eat it, and sometimes a 2nd one. What can i do to get him to eat more real food & less baby food??

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 8:48 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give less baby food! He wont starve himself
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• he may just not be ready for the big boy stuff. the textures take some time to get used to. Give him some pasta and let him play with it, no fork/spoon. if he thinks playing in food is a game eventually some will make it to his mouth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:50 PM on May. 5, 2010

• One of my twin boys does the same thing. My twins are 16 months and he's just now eating REAL meats and fruits and stuff. I have to sit there for 30 min literally, trying over and over again to get him to eat any one kind of food! It's tough, but keep trying, and don't offer anything else and he should get the messege. Try eating it yourself as well...and if he has a sister or brother, try having him watch them eat it as well.
    I've found he's a lot more willing to try foods his big sis (3) is eating! Good luck!!! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• NO toddler/child has ever willingly starved themselves when food is readily available. Only buy those foods that you want him to eat. He WILL eat eventually-when he is REALLY hungry. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Your choices aren't the best. Give him yogurt, cheese, wheat crackers or fresh fruit. Those graduate meals are gross!
    Anonymous

• We started with mashed banana, yogurt, cottage cheese and apple sauce, then gradually worked our way into more textured foods. I fed my daughter infant oatmeal mixed with fruit for a long time to be sure she was getting the nutrients and calories she needed. A food grinder is excellent for cooked fruits and vegetables. Then you can try adding in bigger pieces. That worked for us.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:56 PM on May. 6, 2010

• lvpenguino-Thanks thats very helpful! How old is your daughter? Usually for breakfast i feed my son the infant oatmeal mixed with applesauce. Hes been eating bananas, when i slice them up, and sometimes he will eat string cheese when i chop it up. He loves the graduate yogurt for toddlers. He will eat peices of fries, and ive given him the graduate ravilois & the mac n cheese one. He started out doing great, and then after awhile he just refused. But he never ate much of it at all. Today i tried giving him what i was eating, but he wouldnt even try it, and as soon as i got some babyfood out he ate it all! ugh
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 5:27 PM on May. 6, 2010