my doctor told me i have group b stat or whatever its called. should i be worried. he said its nothing to worry about i will just be given antibiotics iv during labor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Group B strep. Just a minor bacterial infection. No biggie, won't hurt the baby at all. Like PP said, the antibiotics are to ensure that the baby doesn't pick up the bacteria during delivery. It's SUPER common.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:42 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Nope nothing to worry about.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:06 PM on May. 5, 2010

• You'll be fine. The antibiotics are to prevent the baby from getting it as they come down the birth canal. While not a big concern for you, it is a threat to a newborn if it goes untreated. No need to worry. They are doing their job and keeping baby safe.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:08 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I was diagnosed with it and there's nothing to worry about. Like they said, they will just just give antibiotics while you are in labor to kill of the bacteria before the baby comes out, so it does not contract the bacteria which could make him/her very sick. After the antibiotics wear off, the bacteria will recolonize in your vagina anyways. It is not an STD or anything like that so don't worry.
    Anonymous

• it's actually quite a difficult decision imo, as to treat with antibiotics or not. with my first baby, i was GBS positive and my membranes ruptured before labor and i did get IV antibiotics. i'm not sure yet what i will do with my 2nd pregnancy if i'm GBS positive again.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

"It's well known that the percentage of babies who actually benefit from intrapartum antibiotics is very small. And, increasingly, the routine use of chemoprophylaxis (antibiotics) during labor is causing problems with resistant GBS or resistant e. coli. "

there is a lot of info on that site, with links to other sites, including cochrane collaboration.

the good news whether you decide to do antibiotics or not, your baby is very unlikely to get sick :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:58 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I had it with 2 out of 4 of my babies, and its no big deal if you dont mind having an IV. I was super excited that I didnt have to have an IV this last time!!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:12 AM on May. 6, 2010

• i was told i had it but didnt get a antibiotic at labor(b/c of allergys), but my son was fine i did have to stay 3 days to make shur he was fine by tests. my mother in law was told she didnt have it but her baby had it at birth and had a blood infection from it, baby was in the hospital for 2 weeks but recovered well. so really you never know.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 10:06 AM on May. 7, 2010