Begging for help!

Our 18 month old daughter has stopped wanting to go to bed without being rocked. She always had no problem with us laying her down in her crib and letting her go night all by herself, and just the past three weeks - she won't go to bed without us having to rock her first.. and she doesn't sleep thru the night, forcing me to bring her into our room after many times of getting up, which is really really causing alot of pain for me. I have 8 weeks left until our 2nd daughter is born, so I have to figure out something to do to get her to sleep by herself and able to fall asleep without being rocked. I do not let her cry it out, so please any other suggestions?

HELP!

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there any chance she has an ear infection? She could very well be reacting to the new baby coming too.
    Anonymous

• If you rock her, lay her in crib while she's still awake.

You could just not pick her up when you go to her. Pat her back, and give your comfort, but leave her in her crib...then you could modify how close you are to her in her room. Bring in a chair, and scoot it back a little each night.

I don't know if you'll approve of this, because she will probably cry and whine about you not picking her up...but whatever you choose to do, I suggest altering the view of letting her "force" you to do anything. You are the parent, you're in charge - not her.
    Anonymous

• No she doesn't have an ear infection, she actually just got over a cold and was on antibiotics, but she's always never slept thru the night since she was 11 months old, but it's gotten really bad that she won't even let me put her in her playpen in our room, she has to be in our bed or she screams bloody murder.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like she's upset about the new baby. I don't know what to do with that except deal with it until she's more comfortable with her new role in the family. Make it exciting to be big, make it cool and hopefully she catches on. I think she's reverting back because she thinks she's being replaced.
    Anonymous

• A lot of kids this age like to test limits. I've found distractions work well. My son likes his light up rotating aquarium. He gets mad at us for leaving the room then he just watches the fish till he falls asleep. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:11 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Are you sure she doesn't have an ear infection? They tend to happen a week or two after getting over a cold...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I think that she is pushing your limits. You will have to do the sit at the door and slowly leave. Let her cry. You let her have her way and so she does it. She will not die if she cries. I can tell you because I have 4 kids and none of them did! You just need to put down your foot and say that you are not going to get up and take care of her all night long. She is old enough to understand that she has you wrapped around her fingers.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:26 AM on May. 6, 2010