Has your ultra sound tech ever been wrong about the sex of your baby?

Or did your baby look like it could be a girl in the ultrasound but it turned out to be a boy? Just wondering. My baby is supposed to be a girl, but it's hard to be confident about it since the tech wasn't sure. And sometimes what might look like girl parts are really boy parts. So i'm just wondering.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 10:06 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It was a fear of mine but sure enough, she was right. He is all boy. ;-)
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:06 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Mine were both right. My boy spread his legs and showed off for us, lol. And we got a good look at my girl, so we weren't too dubious of that one, either.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:11 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I have never had this problem, however a friend of a friend just found out at 32 weeks that she is having a boy, when she was told around 18 weeks that it was a girl! Yikes! She has alot of thing to return!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:17 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I didn't have an u/s tech, my OB did an u/s himself at every appt.
    First try: *possibly* a boy..or it could have been the cord we saw
    Second try: baby closed legs, couldn't get a peek
    Third try: possible boy parts, too shadowy to say for certain
    Fourth try: without a doubt, he said it's a boy (and he was correct)

I found out after the fact that my OB is extra careful saying for sure what it is because he has actually been sued before for telling someone the wrong sex.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 10:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• our drs where i live arent even allowed to tell because of the suing factor....if we want to know, we have to go to a special drs place, and PAY to get it done..and i live in canada, where everything is free..LOOL
    Anonymous

• My ob has been right for both my children and so has the ultra sound tech.
    Anonymous

• Yes! Our 2nd was "supposed to be" a boy. Wrong-o! 3rd was right, 4th was right. 1st couldn't tell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 6, 2010

• If the tech wasn't sure, do not buy pink just yet. How far along are you? Do you get any more ultrasounds? More often than not, if they incorrectly guess gender, it's when they say girl, and baby turns out to be a boy. I'd certainly wait for another ultrasound or go to a 3D 4D facility if you won't get anymore. GL mama, we're currently waiting for our 20 week scan to either confirm or deny our questionable 16 week gender ultrasound (we paid for it), so I understand the frustration!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:14 AM on May. 6, 2010

• It didn't happen to me (we didn't want to find out the gender), but it did to one of the couples in our childbirth class. They were told on 2 different u/s that it was a girl, for sure. They were pretty surprised when the midwife said, "It's a boy!" Even the midwife was like, "Whoa, wait... what?" & she double checked LOL.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:56 AM on May. 6, 2010

• My ob is so hesitant to say, the best you can get out of her is "90% Girl" so if she's wrong you just fell in that 10%. I didn't find out the sex for sure til 33 weeks with my first and that was only because I had to go to the ER. This time my OB said the same thing "90% Girl" then it was verified at my 20 week ultrasound. I sure hope they're right because we will have to put our lil boy in a pink carseat and then home to his purple nursery, oops. The tech wrote baby girl on every pic so I assumed she was quite certain... if not we're in trouble lol.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:01 AM on May. 6, 2010