I bought a "log" of 80/20 ground hamburger...

and it's incredibly greasy!!!!! I get the large "log" of meat because I like to cook it all at once then freeze it in 2 cup portions in sandwhich bags. I noticed when I put it in the pan it was really white ( like a lot of fat) and now that it's cooked, the pan is HALF full of meat and HALF full of GREASE!
Should I call the store and ask what the heck is up with it being so greasy? Or should I just buy leaner meat next time?
It's grossing me out!

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:36 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I always buy 92% lean or better.

Think about it this way. If you buy 80/20, that means 20 percent is fat. On a 10 pound "roll" that is 2 pounds of fat! So right away, you throw 2 pounds of your "meat" away! You are better off to just buy the better meat and throw less of it away.
    Anonymous

• That's what you get for opting for the 80/20. I learned the same way. Even if the 97/3 is more expensive, it's worth the money and evens out for the qty and quality you get
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:40 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I've always done 80/20 but it's never had this much grease! It's insane....it's either that the store is screwing customers or the standards have dropped.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:45 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I buy 90+ organic meat (@ Ingles, organic meat is nearly same price as the feed lot meats!). When I fry it, the pan is nearly dry it is so lean! No waste at all!!

Anonymous

• I buy my meat straight from the slaughter house. it's fresher that way and I can choose from pastured cattle or grain fed. it's also cheaper.
    Anonymous

• I only buy beef ground in the store. Many of those logs come from the factories supplying fast food outlets ahd have a high fat content. The best way is to buy cheap cuts of steak and grind your own.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:18 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Yup I agree it really is more economical to get at least 93/7.We get 96/4 and she is so right to get in store one muscle meat.Much safer,less chance of contamination.Factory packaged meat contains a mix of meat and fat from different sources--more chance of contamination

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:38 AM on May. 6, 2010

• have you tried rinsing it with hot water? when I cook the cheap ground beef, I have a teakettle full of water heating up. When I drain the beef, I run hot water out of the tap over it, let it drain well, then pour the kettle down the drain to keep the pipes clear. You can even drain the beef a little first onto some paper towels or put it over an old coffee can (until the worst of the grease is gone) then rinse it in hot water.

we always rinse our ground beef with hot water after we cook it, it removes ALOT of the fat that way.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:02 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Thanks for all the input from everyone. Seems as though i'll go leaner from now on! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:53 AM on May. 6, 2010