What do you think of this?

I know this family: a mom and 3 girls. Only if you met them, you'd think it was 2 girls and a boy. The middle girl, 8, dresses like a boy. Always. Even wears boxers. They say they buy her boy clothes because it is all she will wear. She has a short boyish haircut, too, and at home her family calls her by a boy's name...the mom started calling her the boy name, it was not the child's request.

Do you think it's odd?
If your young child wanted to dress like the opposite sex, would you let them? Would you choose to call them another name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on May. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a friend who's girl is the same way. The family decided not to fight her on this and let her wear boy clothes and play with boy toys. The girl started telling everyone at around age 3 that she WAS a boy and if you told her that she was a girl, she would break down crying! Her sister is complete opposite! Now at 7 (almost 8) she still prefers boys clothes, but does understand that she IS a girl.

Where the family goes from here with it, only time will tell.
    Anonymous

• I let my child wear boy clothes. She's very tom boyish. She doesn't like girlie things like dolls and dresses. She preferred cars and action figures. She wears boys boxer briefs because it is the only kind of unders she feels comfortable in due to sensory issues. And she wears boy sweat pants because they have pocket and the girl style ones don't. Last Christmas she wanted to wear a suit because she loves the character "mr. bean" and he wears a suit. And she was very adorable in it. And yes my ignorant mother tells me I'm going to turn her gay. I don't think so, I am just letting her be comfortable being who she is. What am I going to do force her to wear dresses and play with dolls? I don't think so.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:17 PM on May. 5, 2010

• She's 8 years old. Yes i would let her wear boys clothes. It's not like she's not old enough to realize that she might get teased or looked at funny or whatever. Yes. At 8 years children can make choices like that themselves and it doesnt matter if you or anyone else thinks it's odd.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:22 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I would let her dress however makes her comfortable, but she's still gotta go with her own name! If SHE wanted to change her name, and was really, seriously serious about it, I would probably let her.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:05 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Nope. Boys are born as boys, and girls are born as girls, I don't buy into this transgender crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I used to wear my hair in a short boy's cut. I played with the boys. Preferred hot wheels over barbies. I'd rather dig in the dirt than paint my nails. I hate wearing dresses. I am ALL woman.

There are very few things that are male or female only. Such as jock straps & bras. The only thing that makes certain toys or colors or haircuts male or female is your own opinion.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:42 AM on May. 6, 2010

• There are very few things that are male or female only. Such as jock straps & bras. The only thing that makes certain toys or colors or haircuts male or female is your own opinion.

Amen to that!!
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I'm all for comfortable clothes, many of which seem to be boys. I would not allow boy's underpants or a boy's name.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:43 PM on May. 6, 2010