Is there a "right" reason to want a relationship with God?

Do you believe there is a

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 11:41 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is a very loaded and complicated question. You do it because that's what your heart tells you is right. Not everyone's heart says the same exact thing. Thus the many different religions and beliefs. Is it right or wrong to follow your heart? I think you would get varied opinions on this one.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:48 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Well, the Bible does state in Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" And also in Matthew 15:19 "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:" So, as we can see here it seems foolish to follow our hearts.
    CaptivatedByGod

Answer by CaptivatedByGod at 11:54 PM on May. 5, 2010

• your fleshly heart is indeed what you described but remember when you allow Jesus into your heart... you have HIS heart within you. You follow HIS heart :-) When you do it overshadows your fleshly heart and you end up following the spiritual heart of God instead. You are no longer carrying that old fleshly heart but a NEW heart is within you and it was already paid for at the Cross.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:05 AM on May. 6, 2010

• oh and to answer your question I'll use me as an example. My reason for a relationship with God is because I love Him very much, He is my friend and the lover of my soul. Its not about a right way but the desire of your heart... how much do you want Him in every aspect of your life? When you choose to fully walk with Him you begin to build a relationship with Him because of Love, Adoration, and you are in complete AWE of Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:08 AM on May. 6, 2010

• The term "right" is perceptive, I suppose. Who or what determines what makes one's decision to be right? It can only be determined by oneself as to whether or not their decision to seek Him is right or not. Or righteous may be the word. One could say selfless reasons, or Biblical reasons might be the right reasons, or seeking a pathway to Heaven and Him might be the right way. IMO, only in your own heart can you ultimately determine as to whether or not your specific reasons for seeking Him or right or righteous. I think it is mostly a matter of intellect as far as coming to a decision to have a relationship with God, being lost for years or undecisive for years is really just a waste of time and a life.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on May. 6, 2010

• **are right or righteous....
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:37 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Nope. If you have a desire to fill a void with a relationship with a mythologoical being, then you need to seek therapy and find out what your lacking inside yourself.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:46 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Any reason is good enough for him, and good enough for me. After all he is the judge I am not. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2010

• IhartU- I'll save my money and turn to Yahweh cause his love,protection,grace, and justice is all FREE. Blessings..
    They are available to you as well thanks to our wonderful savior Yahshua the Messiah! Hallelujah!!
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:58 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I am of the opinion that spiritual wanting is the result of psychological conditioning. I do not think it is natural, yet I do think we have been influenced to think it is. The idea that a God wants you, and you should want God, creates a life of inevitable lack in each moment, as if you are not enough, right now, as you stand alone.
    That, to me, is a deep and insidious lie.
    Allow

Answer by Allow at 12:51 PM on May. 6, 2010