They told me my baby was dead...how accurate could this be?

I am 9 weeks and they said they didn't detect any heart movement. She looked for some time and got nothing. She said it looked like a spontaneos abortion. Could they be wrong or am I just not dealing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on May. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if they did an ultrasound it is probably correct, but if they just used the doppler it may not be accurate.... so sorry mamma
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 11:55 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Ditto to joycegina, I was going to say the same thing.

((Big Hugs)) I'm so sorry....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:56 PM on May. 5, 2010

• I agree with joy. If they just used a doppler, there is a chance they are wrong. But if they looked on an US, chances are, they are right. I'm sorry.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:56 PM on May. 5, 2010

• Don't know.. I always thought 9 weeks was to early for a heartbeat. I know I couldn't hear my sons at 8 weeks but he's alive and well now and going on 10 months old. I didnt hear it till 10 wks. If thats what she said it may be true... Maybe get a 2nd opinion but don't know what good that would do. I'm sorry best of luck to you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:56 PM on May. 5, 2010

• you can always get a second opinion, but if they did a internal Ultra sound they are most like right, sorry:(
    they can see the heart move from 8 weeks its just to soft to hear until slightly older.. let the peace of God be with you
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:00 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Get a second opinion. Someone I know had both (doppler & sonogram) and told her they didnt see the heart beats...she decided to wait a few weeks and when she went back they found 2 heart beats...better safe then sorry...
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:42 AM on May. 6, 2010

• they could be wrong my aunt was pregnant and they told her that and turned out the baby was very alive still. went into labor at 36 weeks naturally and her baby was born with MULTIPLE complications many being with her heart... She passed away on Monday at 5 days old :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:44 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Oh hun I'm not sure but I am sorry you're dealing with this....so sad.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 3:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Like everyone else said, if they just didn't hear a heart beat at 9 weeks that wouldn't mean much, my Dr. told me we probably wouldn't be able to hear it when I went in last week at 9 weeks but we heard it easily, my friend is 18 weeks and they still have a hard time finding a heart beat but the ultrasound shows them that everything is fine. So if you haven't had an ultrasound I would have one done!

I hope everything is OK!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:38 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Definitely doesn't sound right, get a second opinion. I'm confused why she would call it a spontaneous abortion unless you've already passed the baby. I went in for a 12 week ultrasound and they couldn't find baby's heartbeat so they immediately sent me for a second opinion at the hospital. The baby didn't have a heartbeat after all, but it was called a missed miscarriage instead. They verified the fact my baby had passed by assuring there was no bloodflow though baby, the measurements were 3 weeks behind, and then they did a second ultrasound just to double check the heart. Had they not done all of that I never would have agreed to my D&C, even now I have nightmares that they were wrong and my baby was fine after all. Get a second opinion, third, whatever... until you're convinced something is actually wrong with your little one. I'm sorry for what you're going through and hope everything turns out okay!
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:36 AM on May. 6, 2010