How can I get my son to swallow pills?

The Doctor has recommended some different vitamins. They are very large pills. He just cant swallow them, he cant swallow very small pills either. He kinda wraps his tougue around them and wont swallow them. Does anyone have any ideas? My daughter had no problems at all. I have tried to get him to swallow small bits of food with out chewing and he cant do that either. Thank You!

T.J.76

Asked by T.J.76 at 12:19 AM on May. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can crush them up and but some into apple sauce that is what i do for my daugther or juice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 6, 2010

• try apple sauce and don't let him see you do that or you can crush it and put it into ice cream on the top and put some sprinkles on it so he won't see it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 6, 2010

• Don't crush them unless you get the go-ahead from the pharmacist - some pills, even vitamins, can be very harmful if you crush them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I agree with anon, dont crush them.

My brother is 21 and still cant swallow pills. If my mom was giving him tylenol or aspirin, she would get a spoonful of something really strong flavored, usually it was grape jelly cuz its super sweet, and he would chew it and swallow it all together. Worked every time.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:31 AM on May. 6, 2010

• This is something you'd want to consult your doc. about. Safe side...

Good luck

good luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I give my 11 year old a big bite of corn and have him chew it up and before he swallows I pop the pill in his mouth. I know it sounds weird, but we tried the apple sauce and pudding tricks and they didn't work because his tongue would still find the pill and hold it so it wouldn't go down. It works with the corn because it is textured and his tongue can't feel the pill amongst the chewed corn. He also follows it will a big glass of water.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I know when I take pills I take a drink of something but dont swallow then tip head back(with mouth ful of whatever) and insert pill and swallow then follow with another drink. That way I dont taste or feel it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:22 AM on May. 6, 2010

• I kind of agree with Ima. Except I put the pill in first and have it in the area behind my front teeth. Then I take a sip or two and let that sit with the pill so the pill kind of gets wet (best with gel kind, but works with other pills), then I just swallow it all really quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on May. 6, 2010